I think I have gynecomastia! (I'm 16) (Photo)

Lose 30 pounds, I'm 16 I weigh now 133 pounds and my height is 5 4 1/2 feet, I think I have gynocomastia! I've had the "manboob' look since I was a child, I was always very fat, I just lost weight when I turned 14-too now, please diagnosis me!

Doctor Answers 6

Male Breast Size Concerns for Adolescents

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Maybe mild gynecomastia....try hitting the gym and giving it some time before considering surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congrats on the weight loss! suggest you give mother nature some more time to finish off the look of your "new" body. some sculpting/toning at the gym with attention to the pec area on your chest might help too. I would suggest giving it another six to twelve months at the least.....then, if you're still not happy with the appearance, discuss seeing a plastic surgeon with your parents. 

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

I think I have gynecomastia! (I'm 16) (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi there,
Congrats on your weight loss.
Your chest shape more towards a mild grade of gynaecomastia and sometimes lose skin due to weight loss can look that way.
start working out your chest muscles and give your self some more time. May be after six months of work out meet a plastic surgeon
best of luck


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I think that an exam in person is key. With weight loss, commonly there is skin laxity. This can not be treated with liposuction and based upon how it looks in the photo, I doubt you would need skin removal. If there is fat tissue, lipo or direct excision of the glandular tissue may be reasonable.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

I think I have gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Congratulations on your weight loss!  That is a big achievement and the shed pounds will help you live a more healthy lifestyle.  You look really good! 

Unfortunately, the question of whether you have gynecomastia is difficult to answer by just looking at your photos and not doing an exam.  Gynecomastia is the enlargement of the male chest due to a hormone imbalance.  When estrogen levels are higher than testosterone levels, than male breast tissue can get firmer and enlarge.  It often feels like firm tissue that is behind the nipple and areolar complex.  It is usually on both sides.  The firm tissue can often feel tender and sore, but rarely causes significant pain.

Gynecomastia occurs normally at specific times in a man's life.  When male infants are born, a number of them have enlarged breasts because of their mother's estrogen.  This usually resolves within the first 1-2 years of life.  Then, during puberty, a number of boys develop gynecomastia because their hormone levels are changing.  Again, this condition can last 6 months to 2-3 years.  Then, as men get older, a number develop the condition in their 50's and 60's.  Other causes for gynecomastia can be due to certain medications, steroid use, and marijuana use.  Obesity can also cause the condition because fat cells produce estrogen.

My recommendation is for you to be seen by a plastic surgeon who does male breast reduction surgery.  He or she can do an exam and guide you in the right direction.

Emese Kalnoki, MD
Rochester Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.