Extremely unhappy with gynecomastia scarring. Is scar revision an option? Can I expect a big improvement in appearance? (Photo)

I had gynecomastia surgery 10 mths ago. I understand there's no such thing as scarless surgery, but I was not expecting such sloppy incisions (chunk missing in left areola). Others do notice and even ask what happened. I'm Hispanic but not dark skinned at all - not use to hyperpigmentation lasting more than 1-2 mths. Hesitant to have the same plastic surgeon revise. Would it be worth it? Don't want to go through recovery all over again to yield the same poor results. Appreciate your expertise!

Gynecomastia (Male Breast Reduction) scarring around areolars

I'm so sorry that your scars after gynecomastia surgery did not meet your expectations. Yes, you could
try a revision, but in Dallas, TX, at a meeting, I ran across a tattoo artist who does nothing but blend hypo-pigmented scars with flesh colored ink.  The results I have seen are impressive.  Even if you are not
in the Dallas area, you might be able to contact them at Scar Center of Dallas  Good luck!

Managing Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Gynecomastia scarring

Not all scars heal the same way.  There are different factors that determine a good or bad scar: the surgical suturing technique, extreme stretching of the skin edges during surgery, your individual skin type and healing tendencies, anatomic location of the scar and post-operative scar management.  In general, gynecomastia scars heal very well. However, this surgery is generally done through a very small incision since the typical male areola size is small. Therefore, the skin edges can get stretched quite vigorously during surgery.  That stretching damage can lead to scars that are not optimal-looking.  A revision of the scars almost always is highly successful because the amount of tissue trauma and skin stretching is extremely minimal.  I feel it would be worth doing in your case. Good luck!
Thomas Taylor, MD
Pasadena, CA

Extremely unhappy with gynecomastia scarring. Is scar revision an option? Can I expect a big improvement in appearance?

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after gynecomastia surgery. Sometimes, despite best efforts, unsatisfactory scarring may result. Based on your photographs, I think that you will benefit from revisionary surgery. This operation should serve to decrease the width of the scars (in areas where they have spread). Best wishes.