How long until the scars are gone?

I'm considering getting gynecomastia surgery, but I've noticed that in some "Before and After" pictures, that scars were easily noticed. Do they go away where the "scars" are indented where the surgery was taken place? I know scars are extremely common in surgeries, but is there a method that shows these scars the least? And also, what is the age that you can get this surgery privately (like without telling anyone IE parents/guardians?)

Scars after Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Scars can be minimized depending on the type of surgery. Liposuction, for example, leaves short scars that measure mere millimeters. Extensive scarring is generally in cases where there is severe gynecomastia, however an experienced surgeon will always minimize scarring regardless. It really depends on your condition, so it's best to get an in-person assessment first to discuss what kind of scarring you'll be left with. 

Minors require parental/guardian consent. If you aren't a minor and have reached the age of majority in your state, then you don't need consent from someone else.

Gynecomastia and scars

Unfortunately you may be looking a poor results. Plastic surgery should be relatively "invisible" and the scars well placed and inconspicuous. Most gynecomastia correction  can be done  without skin removal and thus the scarring is limited to small ones at the edge of the areola and skin. This might include liposuction or liposuction and direct excision(removal of the hard knot). Seek  out a board certified plastic surgeon that has a vast experience in male and female breast surgery. One usually has to be  18 years of age to provide  informed consent with the accompaniment of a  parent. Best of good  luck.

Michael D. Cohen, MD

Gynecomastia NY,NY

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Gynecomastia scarring

First, you cannot be seen or undergo any surgery below age 18 without parental consent.  Second, many postoperative photos tend to be taken relatively early in the healing process.  As much as I would love for my patients to return one year after surgery, when the healing of the scars is complete, they tend not to do so! In terms of scar indention, I am not sure what you are referring to.  Finally, not all gynecomastia surgery can be performed through liposuction incisions.  When the gland is involved, formal resection is required to achieve the best result and this involves longer scars.

How long before scars fade?

The types of scar following surgery to treat gynecomastia depend a great deal on the severity of the problem.  Typically, if you only have a small amount of breast tissue underneath the nipple areola combination, this can be removed by a combination of liposuction and direct excision with the scar placed in the areola only.  All scars will take a full year to mature meaning that they will be more noticeable initially but over the course of several months will become less obvious.  If the size of the breast is very large or the breast is very droopy, then more extensive incisions may be necessary.  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to further discuss your options.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Scars after surgery

Everyone heals differently and it is hard to predict the final quality of the scar. Many heal quite well, but none ever go away completely.

A very standard well-known procedure. You can do the entire operation through a tiny spot in the armpit with no visible scar on the front of the chest.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon