Can a crooked belly button after Tummy tuck be fixed?

I had a tummy tuck about six months ago and my belly button is not centered can that be fixed and if so how?

Crooked belly button

Revisional surgery can correct many problems or unwanted results.  A picture might help you get a better opinion online, or else you can follow up with your PS to ask his/her opinion.  Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Should my belly button be in the midline

After abdominoplasty, patients sometimes comment that their belly button is not in the mid-line or is crooked.  This is actually not that uncommon.  In an abdominoplasty, the belly button is actually left attached to the abdominal wall and the abdominal wall tightened around it.  The excess skin is then pulled down and a new hole is made in the skin overlying the belly button (where it actually is and lies underneath that abdominal flap) and the belly button is brought through that hole and sewn in place.  Surgeons generally mark the midline and put the belly button there as best they can; however, people are generally not symmetrical from side to side.  We put the belly button where it lies and frequently this is not exactly in the midline.  There was actually a paper published a number of years back in the plastic surgery literature that documented that belly buttons are NOT midline sutures (i.e. they don't necessarily fall in the midline).  You should check back with your surgeon, but it's entirely possible it wasn't in the middle before, and couldn't be put there based on your surgery and anatomy.

Mark A. Deuber, MD

Thank you for your question.  Revisions can correct many things.  However, it's hard to say without photo demonstration of the crooked belly button.  Be sure to convey your concerns to your surgeon and maintain proper follow up.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Off center belly button

This is a difficult question to answer without other photographs were physical exam. I would recommend following with your surgeon or seeing another surgeon to see what options are available.

Thank you for your question.  Without a full series of photographs before and after surgery, or an in-person examination, it is difficult to make a treatment recommendation. In most tummy tucks the belly button is left in place on your stomach and the skin around it moved.  I would voice your concerns to your surgeon, they can best explain the current appearance of your umbilicus