What's the best way to hold up the drains, so I don't accidentally pull them out? I'm really afraid of using a lanyard.

Wanting to know the best solution to keep drains outta the way when I shower, or sleep.

What is the best way to hold up the drains so you don't accidentally pull them out?

I know your fear is real and patients can pull them out especially when they are sleeping and they roll over.  I recommend out patients use a large safety pin and pin the bulb to the garment.  That way the drain and tube are under the clothes and up against the body and don't move side to side as with a lanyard.  It is extremely rare for our patients to pull their drain out with this method so I think its worth a shot for you.  Good luck.

Thank you for your question and I can understand your concern.  Most drains are stitched into place and as a result are difficult to pull them out, so as long as you are careful.  I would recommend either a loose lanyard around your neck if your drains have sufficient length, or you can tie a string/rope around your waist and hang them from that position.  Hope this helps.

Drains in the Shower

Thank you very much for your question.

Patients tell me the easiest thing is to tie a string (or lanyard) around your neck (very loosely, of course!), and then clip the drains onto the string.  Yes, you do need to be careful with drains, but it is usually difficult to have them fall out accidentally.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Post op drains

I usually recommend a lanyard for my patients while in shower or not wearing clothes. Not sure why you are afraid. Good luck. 

James Shoukas, MD
Lake Mary Plastic Surgeon