How soon after a full tummy tuck with lipo can sexual intercourse be resumed?

Im surprised I haven't seen this asked much. Scared I could pop a stitch or undo something lol.... Probably all in my head.

Intercourse after a Tummy Tuck

Thank you for question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of two weeks. Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago 

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sexual intercourse post liposuction

Dear sassucanuk,

Thank you for your clinical post and this is a common question that should be discussed. Tummy tuck surgery and lipo or lipo alone or tummy tuck alone requires several weeks for soft tissue to heal without shear forces acting upon the tissues that are uniting together. Most plastic surgeons will recommend avoiding high impact activities for 6 weeks. I generally recommend my tummy tuck and tummy tuck lipo patients can begin walking immediately. By 3 weeks if they’re healing well they can begin low impact activities such as a stair climber, elliptical and slow incline as well as exercise bicycle. High impact activities such as jogging and running would resume at 6 weeks. Abdominal exercises, crunches, leg raises and planks also at 6 weeks.

Where does sexual intimacy fit into this post-operative exercise regime? Sexual intimacy, intercourse and otherwise can also take two forms, high impact and low impact. Certainly, low impact intimacy and careful intimacy, which is physically restrained can begin within several weeks some into low impact but physical exercise. High impact intimacy or intercourse should be postponed until the 6th week such as high impact physical activity.

A tummy tuck and lipo and body contouring in general can lead to amazing aesthetic results than can enhance one’s self esteem and confidence during sexual intimacy. Patience is usually a virtue when it comes to healing and intimacy needs to be low impact initially crescendoing by the 6th week and then a lifetime hopefully of joy and bliss.

I’m sure you’re going to have an excellent result both aesthetically and physically. Best of luck.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Sexual intercourse post tummy tuck

Hello 

Thank you for your question. It would be best to wait 6 weeks before resuming sexual intercourse. 

Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck question

I recommend waiting 4-6 weeks before resuming strenuous activity and they doing it in a gradual fashion. Ask your surgeon and follow their advice.

How soon can intercourse be resumed post TT

I would agree with the other reviewers. About a month or so. It is based on comfort, but each surgeon is different. I would discuss the concerns with your surgeon. It also depends on the repair at the time of surgery and other factors.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait

In my practice I tell patients to wait 4 weeks.  If you have significant discomfort afterward, then wait another week. You are the best judge when it comes to pain.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Sexual Activity After Tummy Tuck

Thank you very much for your question, although it's not a common one on these discussion boards, it's a very commonly asked question in the office.

Sexual activity involves a lot of core muscles, even if you aren't the "partner who is doing the work". I tell my own patients to wait for 4 weeks to allow for the muscle repair to heal, and then to "take it easy, and if it hurts, don't do it".

However, every doctor has their own postoperative activity restrictions, and I wouldn't want to recommend something that is contrary to your doctor's wishes, so I would ask them for their thoughts.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon