Can I go in the sun after getting a Nose Surgery?

I recently got nose surgery becuase I broke it, and I was wondering if I could go out on my friends boat for about 4 hours. We would be in the boat for a while and in the water. The surgery wasn't very intense but I had to under go general anestisia to make it more comfortable.Could I go in the sun if I protected myself? (Sunscreen, Hat, Sunglasses)

Sun Exposure Post Rhinoplasty

Thanks for the questions, it's a very common one. I recommend staying out of the sun as much as possible for the first 6 months, however the first 6 weeks of that time frame is the most important. Each patient is so different, so what effects one person may not effect another. If you're going to be outdoors I always recommend a good sun screen and hat/visor. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure after Rhinoplasty

Generally, I would recommend my patients to avoid sun exposure for about 6 months, however the initial period of months is the most important. Sun exposure can cause pigmentation in healing skin and the bridge of your nose is relatively numb and can be more sensitive to sub burn. Of course since most of us can’t avoid sunlight all together, we have to be diligent about avoiding it or covering up as much as we can. Using a hat is a great way to help, use 30SPF sun screen, and staying under shade are all very important. For the first 6 weeks after rhinoplasty, I would be cautious about wearing sunglasses as you don’t want to add unnecessary pressure on the nose during this early healing period

Sun after rhinoplasty surgery

I recommend my patients stay out of the sun for 6 months, wearing hats and sunscreen if you're going to be out in the sun, specially on a boat.  Before you do you should speak to your board certified surgeon.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Sun after rhino.

thanks for the question. Without knowing the specifics (type of procedure, how long ago, your skin type etc) it's hard to say. Generally speaking, we say it's ok for a little sun exposure but do not get burned on your nose. So lots of sunscreen, hat, staying in shade. Definitely talk to your surgeon first to make sure. Good luck and have fun

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure After Rhinoplasty

How long did you have surgery? I recommend to my patients to avoid sun exposure at least 6 months after surgery. Consult with your surgeon.
Good luck!

Sun and Rhinoplasty

You did not say how many weeks post op you are.  Contact your surgeon as he knows exactly what was done in your surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD