How blocked should each nostril be due to your nasal cycle? What can I do? (Photo)

I have a very uncomfortable time breathing through my nose as one nostril is always around 90% blocked. Is this normal? When I breathe through my nose, there is no air going through the blocked nostril at all. Only when I purposely block my clear nostril and strenuously inhale can I get air through the blocked nostril. The blockage worsens when I lie down which if affecting my sleep. I find it very difficult using nasal sprays because one nostril is always too blocked to inhale the spray.

Deviated septum

I agree that your septum looks deviated significantly and your airway can be greatly improved with a septoplasty

Deviated septum causing airway obstruction

From your picture I can see that your septum (which is the cartilage that divides your nostrils - and which should sit vertically bang in the middle) is deviated across into your left nostril. This is the bulge you can see on the inside of your nostril. This can be the result of trauma (ie. a broken nose) or it may be that you were born with it.A septoplasty is a procedure to correct this deviation. It's a shame you haven't posted some other views of your nose, as often when you have a septal deviation you will have a slightly bent nose which follows the curve of the septum underneath. If you were to just require a septoplasty this can be done via a 'closed' approach where the incisions to get access to the septum are all inside the nose. Often, however, a septoplasty is done in association with a rhinoplasty. It would depend on whether there were other aspects of your nose and/or airway you require correction of.There are other things, such as large inferior turbinates (bony sidewall of your internal nose) or collapse of the outer rim of your nostril (external valve collapse) that can also contribute to airway obstruction. All of this can be assessed by your surgeon at your consultation, and are potentially correctable surgically.Good luck, and I think you could expect a really good result for your breathing with surgery!