Anterior Segmental Osteotomy surgery affect on the nose?

Hi, I'd like to know what affect does ASO surgery (upper and lower) on the nose? Would it be okay to have rhinoplasty before this surgery?

Jaw surgery

As the jaw surgery can affect the nasal shape slightly you are best advised to wait at least 4-6 months after jaw surgery before undergoing rhinoplasty

Jaw and maxillary surgery first

If you are having jaw or maxillary surgery, then your should wait at least 6 months or longer to heal and for the swelling to subside. Best of luck.

Rhiniplasty

Dear Virginian,   I agree with Dr Eppley. The whole facial balance and harmony will change due to the Anterior osteotomy. So it is wiser to let things settle down for few months and than reassess your situation and plan your Rhinoplasty .        In my practice , I use life size photograph for the surgical planing of the Rhinoplasty, which is based on the total facial proportionality and the upper and lower jaws play an important role in the drawing. The drawing is discussed with the patient and his or hers consent for the surgical plan is obtained. If the patient does not like the plan, a new drawing is obtained according to patient's wishes. This is a real surgical planing tool and it requires stability of the facial features , hence the need for the waiting period after the anterior osteotomy.   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of rhinoplasty surgery in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures, to make sure that they numerous, consistent and attractive.                           Best of luck,                                                  Dr Widder

Anterior Maxillary Osteotomy

An anterior maxillary osteotomy could have an aesthetic effect on the nose. For this reason rhinoplasty surgery should be delayed until 6 months after the maxillary osteotomy.

ASO and Rhinoplasty

This is a great question, and not always a straightforward answer.  As a surgeon who performs both maxillofacial surgery and rhinoplasty I can tell you what I've learned from my experience. I assume you are having both jaws brought forward, correct?  The lower jaw will not affect the nose, but advancing the maxilla will.  Depending on where the surgeon makes the cut in the upper jaw, it will likely advance the tip of your nose forward as well, making it look projected.  Most people have some asymmetry to the jaw and the advancement is not perfectly equal on both sides (it may be tilted or shifted slightly to one side).  While you won't notice that your jaw is unequal, you may notice that your nose looks different. I would recommend getting a rhinoplasty AFTER the double jaw surgery.  Shifting the jaws will create a huge change in the face and you may want more or less changes to the nose after your jaws heal and you adjust to your new face structure. Best of luckDr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon