Is it common to only have one side of your nose broken during Rhinoplasty? (photo)

My surgeon only broke my left side. He said right side dos not need it. My nose was curved to the right so this confuses me. Is this common? I would assume after rasping down bridge you'd have to break both sides to close gap. My right side has large bump on it now.

Breaking only One Side of Nose during Rhinoplasty

After doing this procedure for 35+ years I would say that anything is possible but it would be very rare that a surgeon can remove a significant hump and/or straighten a nose without breaking the bones on both sides.

One sided osteotomy

Thanks for the question and photos. When fixing a crooked nose, sometime the surgeon makes one break (osteotomy) on only one side rather than both. In those cases, the one side break is enough to close the gap and make the nose straighter. When you finish healing you will see the final result and hopefully you are happy with the outcome. Follow up with your surgeon per their routine so they keep an eye on things. Good luck

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Osteotomies

Every case is unique, but yes, some cases only require one side fracture. Please contact your surgeon and let him explain you what was his strategy.

Nabil Fakih, MD
Lebanon Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

Definitely less common to only break one side.  However, rhinoplasty is a very individualized operation.  The goal is to create harmony between the nose and face.  Our faces and noses are not perfectly symmetric so maneuvers are often modified to achieve the desired result.

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thanks for your post. Each particular rhinoplasty case is performed individually to meet the exact and specific needs of the individual patient. Crooked or asymmetrical noses may sometimes require something to be done on one side but not necessarily on the other. While unilateral osteotomies are not routinely performed, for many cases such as a crooked nose, it would not be particularly unusual. Additionally the nasal dorsal swelling appears to be consistent with a recent surgery. If you are unhappy with your appearance now, please wait for further recovery and swelling subside. Hopefully, everything will improve. Share your concerns with your doctor and follow all postoperative instruction to optimize your results. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon