Can my crown area be covered after hair transplant? Some doctors says only front part can be covered (Photo)

I am in30 suffering frm baldnes startin@d age of26.Nw i have lvl 5-6 baldness.I have consulted online with lot of HT surgean but gettin conflicting suggestions. I have heard that i"ll get less hair /graft since i am asian.my hair is thick n hard n i dont have beard.Is it really true that its hard in asian type of hair to transplant where baldness has reached level 5-6. And last question, can HT surgean find out weather i have 1,2,3 hair per graft if i meet him face2face before surgery?

Hair transplant of frontal and crown

Hi and thanks for your questions. I'm sorry to hear of your hair loss. Our San Diego practice cares for many Asian patients who have undergone successful hair transplantation. I would recommend a Skype consult to more fully evaluate your hair loss. The area(s) to be grafted depend most upon your donor size and density. I usually recommend transplanting the frontal area initially to obtain the greatest density versus transplanting the frontal and crown areas simultaneously where the result will be compromised. If your donor area is adequate then it's often possible to transplant the crown area 9-12 months after the frontal area. While there are many techniques to evaluate the follicular unit hair density these are only an estimate and the most accurate method is at transplantation. Please see our website for more information. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Hair transplant for frontal and crown balding areas?

you would be foolish in my opinion to have any grafts in the crown. Your donor supply is quite limited and all available grafts should be used for the front. See a very experienced hair transplant surgeon for the best results 

Coverage Expectation in Advanced Hair Loss

You are a developing Norwood 6-7.

At young ages it is much wiser to make a long term plan foreseeing the expected hair loss pattern, instead of making a plan by just looking at the current pattern.

Ones donor capacity is usually insufficient to cover the bald area front to back in Norwood 6-7 patterns. Therefore, it is best to give up on plans to transplant the crown until later stages, after doing one or two surgical sessions and some years pass. The situation must be reevaluated then, but full coverage is unlikely.

The decision on whether strip surgery or FUE will be chosen also effects the plan, as FUE-only strategies must be even more conservative due to the significantly lower donor capacity with this method.

An isolated frontal forelock design, which is basically a frontal design with a high and receded hairline, seems to be the safest plan to start with.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

If you are a Norwood 5 or 6 you are basically bald on front and top. You need to understand the limitations of

If you are a Norwood 5 or 6 you are basically bald on front and top.  You need to understand the limitations of a hair transplant surgery instead of asking different doctors what is possible.  The basic concept is relocating (rearranging) hairs from the back of your head to where you want to have hair.  Donor hairs will not grow back.  If you know this, you can understand you will never get a full head of hair (that you once had).  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crown transplant in young patient

Based on your age,photos and ethnicity I would not recommend transplants to the crown area.There are several reasons for this.First,it is likely that you will lose more hair and your pattern will expand-if so,the transplants will look like an "island" of hair on the top with loss of hair around it.Second,we know that Asian individuals typically have less available donor hair (density) than say Caucasian individuals.Asians generally have follicular groupings of only 1 or 2 hairs rather than 3 or 4. It is difficult to judge solely from the picture you provided but my suspicion is that you have an average to below average supply of donor hair.You want to devote most of your available donor hair to treating the hairline and front of the scalp,as this is what frames your face and makes the biggest cosmetic change in appearance.If not already on it (and no contraindications) I would immediately start Propecia(Finasteride) and/or Rogaine(Minoxidil) and also consider low level laser light therapy.Another adjunct to consider would be PRP (Platetlet Rich Plasma).A reasonable approach for you now would be hair transplants to the hairline and front,along with PRP injections to the crown.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

30 years old with Class 4 pattern of balding

You are 30 years old with Class 4 pattern of balding and this is a good situation for a hair transplant, both front and crown area

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon