Hair falling out at day 9 of hair transplant, too soon or normal?

It's my 9th day since the transplant and some hairs have fallen out with the scabs...when I showered and gently rubbed my head to help slough off the crusts more hairs in the crusts fell out. I know you typically shed your hair but is it normal for it to happen prior to the 14 days? Did these hairs not take, did I rub too hard? Just simply curious. Thank you!

Day 9 and counting... after hair transplant

With regard to your newly grafted hair be very careful for the first 4 days.  By day 5 you may resume most activities however hold off with strenuous exercise for a full week.   This timeline takes into consideration that your new grafts are well seated in their new location by the end of the 4th day.  You may continue to rub your scalp to remove the scabs without fear of losing the follicle.  The hair however, within that follicle may be shed.  It is the follicle that is left behind that produces the new hair by the 2nd to 3rd month.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

It would be best if you contact your doctor for a follow up exam if you are having issue after surgery.

It would be best if you contact your doctor for a follow up exam if you are having issue after surgery.  There is no particular "rule" on what day the transplanted hairs will shed.   Some grafts can be dislodged few days after surgery but this is relatively rare.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shedding

These hairs will sooner or later shed. They are never a problem for new hairs that start to grow. Usually, there is a lag time between the time the hairs shed (2-8 weeks) and the time the new hair grows (3-8 months). IF for any reason, there is an overlap between the two, pay no attention to it for when the new hair grows, the old hairs from the grafts that may persist beyond 8 weeks, will eventually shed

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Grafts falling out

Typically by 9 or 10 days the grafts (follicles) are well incorporated into the scalp.It is possible that a few of the grafts have been dislodged but most of what you are seeing is a crust of fatty tissue surrounding the graft and a little shaft of hair- meaning the follicles are safe and you can expect normal growth.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair falling out day 9

For the first two weeks, it's important to be careful with washing to avoid irritating the scabs.  If an entire scab with a follicle is pulled out, it may not grow back.  After two weeks they are generally well seeded and you can generally shower normally.  

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Falling out at day 9

By Day 9 you should be just fine. After 48 hrs the follicles have already started to implant from the healing process going on around them. It is not the hair that is important in the transplant, it is the follicle itself. So shedding hairs in teh scabs will not affect the result as long as the follicles are still implanted. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon