Is it normal to have irregularities on face 6 months after Facelift?

Irregularities 6 months post facelift

Although it can take some patients up to a year to achieve their final results, usually, by 6 months, things are fairly resolved. If you are not liking what you see then you need to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

FACIAL IRREGULARITIES AFTER FACELIFT

It's typical to feel some irregularities for some time after a facelift but 6 months would be the outside.  Any irregularities you can see are definitely not normal and need to be discussed with your surgeon. 

R. Scott Yarish, MD

After effects of facelifts

It is not uncommon for facelift patients to feel bumps on the sides of the neck. These bumps are caused by swelling. The tissue temporarily fills with fluid and becomes firm. Sometimes patients feel little bumps under the skin. These are sutures, which have been used to tighten the neck muscle ("platysma") on either side. They gradually absorb over about two months. Some may feel irregularities in the skin behind the ear. This is normal. This wrinkling is caused by gathering of skin along the skin edge at the time of the lift. After the sutures are removed, the irregularities gradually soften, although a crease or fold may persist. Patients may feel a bump in their scalp a few inches behind the ear. This represents the end of the incision, where there is puckering of the skin, called a "dog ear" and is also where the drain came out. No need to worry, this bump gradually smoothens out.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregularities 6 months after a Facelift

This seems very far out in the recovery.  Usually you should have achieved at or very near your final result within 6 weeks, maybe a 3 months at the very longest.  Of course, I would need to see you in person the fully evaluate and give you an opinion about the what is normal and should go away vs what will likely persist long-term.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Re: Is it normal to have irregularities on face 6 months after Facelift?

Hi... 6 months following a facelift it is not so common to have irregularities but not so far outside the envelope of reasonable that you should panic.  The best idea is to specifically bring up your concerns with your plastic surgeon and directly ask the questions related to this concern.  Without photos it becomes very difficult to formulate a more specific answer, but certainly the surgeon who did the procedure is likely to be the best source of information going forward... hope this helps

J. Wethe

James D. Wethe, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Irregularities after Facelift

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you can still have irregularities after a facelift at 6 months, although this is not common.  Healing after a facelift can take some time, although we like to see the majority of swelling disappear by this time.  I would certainly discuss your concerns with your surgeon to discuss your results and your concern.
I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin 

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift - are irregularities normal after 6 months?

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • Face lift healing can take quite a while -
  • In  some situations, there will still be skin irregularities longer than six months.
  • Without seeing the problem, one can't say more -
  • But definitely see you surgeon and discuss the areas that are bothersome to you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello ducktape,There can be some contour irregularities at 6 months after a facelift but that is certainly not common.  You also didn't indicate what your irregularity is so saying whether your particular issue is normal at 6 months is not possible.  I'd recommend you follow up closely with your surgeon to continue to discuss your concerns and have them addressed.  I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregularities After Facelift

It is normal to have some irregularities even 6 months after a facelift.Of course, it is important to have your surgeon evaluate the irregularities to see if some treatment is warranted.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after face lift

Thanks for your question.  There may be small bumps lasting up to a year Along the incision lines, knots from the tightening sutures, and areas where the underlying tissues were tightened. However most of these are gone by 3-6 months. Pictures may be helpful to better determine the process. I suggest you see your surgeon who is the best one to address your concerns. 

Mark Loury, MD, FACS
Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon