Facelift hypertrophic scars behind ears 6 month post-op? (Photos)

I've been seen by PS monthly . I had 1 injection for hypertrophic scars . Revision in office was discussed , Cuttently checking monthly . Can this be done in office . I've read wait a year . Please advise . Thank you

Hypertrophic scars after Face Lift

I agree with the experts that have answered before me.  These scars do not appear hypertrophic and should heal favorably over time. If they are perhaps more thickened and raised then they appear in the photographs, I  would treat with monthly injections of Kenalog/5FU.  However, it is the vascular nature of the scars that is really the issue. I would treat them with a PDL such as Vbeam, or with any IPL device. One or two treatments should make them indiscernible. Good Luck

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Postauricular scars

Postauricular scars are commonly seen as red and can be hypertrophic.  Treatment of scars depends on the type of scars seen and can include the following treatments:-laser treatments to help both scars and redness of scars -injections of kenalog or a combination of kenalog and 5-FU -scar revision if poorly positioned scarThe key to great scars after a facelift is to avoid tension on the skin and lift the deeper layer of the face.  Placing too much tension on the skin can make scars wider than ideal.  Meticulous closure technique can also aid in scar appearance.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try laser

Some laser treatments for the red, dilated capillaries should help a lot.Your plastic surgeon may not have a capillary laser and you may need treatment elsewhere.Revision can be considered in the future, but laser can help now.

Not hypertrophic

Your scars do not appear to be hypertrophic but show hyperemia.  I don't see any benefit from a surgical revision at this point.  Time will decrease the color, but if you revise it, the exact same phenomenon could occur after the revision.  Lasers might help.  If your scars were hypertrophic, a scar revision in the office is reasonable.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

I would wait at least a year.  Agree with the steroid injections.  I have had good luck mixing 5-FU with the steroid (50;50).  This gives you a lower dose of steroid and the 5-FU works by a different mechanism in shrinking scars.  In time the redness will completely subside.  If you re-excise the scars I believe they will return with a vengance and be even more noticeable.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars

These scars don't appear to be hypertrophic.  They look like they are still healing, and are red - but minimally thick or raised.  They should continue to heal, and with injections can usually be taken care of.  The injections themselves can produce some of the redness which can then be treated with Intense Pulsed light.  If the scar feels a little irregular there are other lasers which can help.  A silicone scar cream such as biocorneum can also help with the scar.    

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Facelift hypertrophic scars behind ears 6 month post-op?

In my opinion best treatment is the combination of re excision with the first 3 postop days of SRT (radiation therapy) in office. Fee $8,000.

Thick scars after facelift...

I'm sorry you are experiencing this, but with time and the treatment that your plastic surgeon is giving you, you will likely have a great outcome down the line. Your scars are still pink indicating that they have not fully matured yet. It takes a year or so before that happens. In the interim, like your surgeon, I like to treat these types of scars with an injection combination of kenalog (steroid) and 5-FU monthly. If the scars are still hypertrophic or unsightly after the injections and they have matured, an in-office revision under local anesthesia is perfectly reasonable. It sounds like your plastic surgeon is doing the right things. Good luck to you!

Parker A. Velargo, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars still red

Since everyone heals differently the scars that you have are probably normal for you.  Your Plastic Surgeon seems to be treating them well and I recommend that you follow his/her recommendations as long as you have confidence in that person.  Laser treatment of the scars is another option.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Face lift - thick scars behind the ears

Thank you for asking about your facial hypertrophic scars.
  • If your scars are thick and itching, then they need to be treated.
  • Steroids and 5-FU injections usually help.
  • An office revision may also work but the risk is that the scars become hypertrophic again -
  • This is a common issue after face lifts because the skin behind the ear is tight, not loose, and tightness tends to cause thick scars.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS