Should I stop Mobic before my facelift?

I take (2) 7.5 mg. Meloxicam (Mobic) daily. Should I stop before my facelift and upper/lower bleph? Thanks

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery #postoptravel

Dear mw100Thank you for your question!  Please check with your surgeon .  Some surgeons are ok with NSAIDS , while others may cancel your surgery if they are not informed of your medications.With Warm RegardsTrevor M Born MD

Stop all NSAIDS prior to Facelift

Meloxicam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, NSAID.  These classes of medication must be stopped 7 to 10 days prior to mist surgical procedures, especially facelift surgery. This is because NSAIDs can think the blood making bleeding more likely during surgery. This can lead to a higher incidence of a hematoma. We suggest our patients stop it at least one week prior. 

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Meloxicam is an NSAID and these drugs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug) tend to impair platelet activity.  This may lead to more bruising after facelift surgery or even a hematoma.  It is best to stop it completely at least a week before your procedure.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Surgery and medications

Hello! To minimize the risk of bruising and bleeding, most surgeons advise at least 10 days off all supplements and pain medications except Tylenol. You can ask your physician if you are appropriate for Celebrex, which is the only anti inflammatory (available by prescription) that has NOT been shown to increase bruising and bleeding. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unless there is a critical reason you are this drug in which it can not be temporarily stopped, then it would be prudent to be off of it ten days before surgery. It would lessen the risk of adverse bleeding during your surgery.

Stopping medications before a facelift and eyelid procedure

In our practice, we ask patients to stop taking all medications that can cause bleeding issues two weeks prior to the surgery. This helps prevent a hematoma. Best to check with your operative surgeon.

Should I stop mobic before my facelift?

This would be a great question for the surgeon performing the surgery as all surgeons have different protocols.  However, Mobic is an NSAID and taking the medication prior to a facelift will increase your chances of developing a hematoma.  If you can stand being off the Mobic, I would suggest stopping it 10 days prior to surgery.  Best of luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Stopping movie before facelift

Thank you for your question.Check with your plastic surgeon for their preference on stopping mobic.  Many surgeons insist on stopping aspirin or NSAID type medications before surgery to hopefully reduce the chance of bleeding at surgery.  For a surgery such as facelift and blepharoplasty the potential risk for hematoma would outweigh the benefit and I might consider an alternative pain medication in the peri operative period if possible.  The length of time to stop the medication is highly variable and I have seen surgeons stop medication from 5-14 days before surgery.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Pre-operative Medications

Thank you for your question! I would advise that you speak with your surgeon concerning which medications should be stopped before surgery.  I will have my patients stop all NSAIDS (Mobic is an NSAID) 2 weeks before surgery, as they can thin the blood and increase your risk of bleeding.  Again, however, I would discuss this with your surgeon and be sure to review all medications (prescribed and over-the-counter) with him/her, as well.I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I stop Mobic before my facelift?

Mobic (Meloxicam) is an NSAID (Non-Sterodial Anti-Inflammatory Drug) that affects a patient's ability to stop bleeding.We typically have our patients stop all NSAIDs, aspiring containing products, and all herbal supplements 10-14 days prior to facelifting procedures to avoid bleeding complications.I hope this helps.

Timothy R. Miller, MD