What size is good for 5'9", 150 lbs female? I am a B cup.

I went for a consultation and he advised me to get 560 ccs. I would love for another opinion. Is 560 too big? I don't want to have a porn star look but have great cleavage and boob size for my height.

You are asking a very hypothetical question. A personal exam where doctor can see you standing up and then use artistic sense of proportions is the way to determine implant volume. Nothing else works.
Having said that it is easy to state that 560 cc is too large in most situations.  However exceptions can exist. 

Breast Implants/ Breast Augmentation/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Is 560cc too big?

Thanks for your honest question. In general, I consider 560cc implants to be rather large. But I also use implants this big and larger in women and they look great and not "porn-starish". This all depends on your current breast size, chest size, overall height/body type, and your end-result wishes. Please seek a second opinion and have honest conversations with these doctors regarding your wishes. Take pictures with you of what look you like on other women. Best of luck to you!

The perception of what is a "natural looking breast" and what is ideal is very individual and varies greatly from patient to patient and from doctor to doctor.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

The cups of a 32 D/D+ a 38 D/D+ significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

The Right Implant for You

Thanks for your question.  560 cc is a rather large implant but hard to say what the correct size is without a photograph, in-person consultation, or understanding of your post-operative goals. It sounds like you need to make another appointment with a different board certified plastic surgeon or have a second consult with this first surgeon to discuss your goals.  Communication is key in plastic surgery. 

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

Thanks for your question. 

I would definitely have major concerns for a multitude of short term and long term complications using an implant of that size.

I encourage you to see multiple board certified plastic surgeons. I think you will find that most will not recommend an implant in the 500cc range. 

In my practice, 3D imaging with the Vectra XT has been a fantastic tool for communication. You can see a simulation of various sizes to understand which implant works best for you. 

Good Luck!!

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

What size is good breast implant sizefor 5'9", 150 lbs female? I am a B cup.

I share your concern-560cc breast implants are very large-I rarely use implants that large unless it is a breast reconstruction.

Figure 150-200cc per cup size increase.

Average implant size in my practice is 250-350cc. Complications increase over 350cc.

Read below and do the Rice test at home to see how 560 would look on you. Final size will depend on the base width of your breast which the surgeon should have measured.,

Best breast implants for you

Hello Brooke and thank you for your question! I want to start off by telling you what I tell many of my patients: Do not focus on cc's or bra sizes as many women see their friend with "x" number of cc implants etc and think that they have an idea of what they want. There is a lot that goes into implant selection -- your breast volume, the amount of cleavage you want to achieve, your base width, your rib shape/projection, etc. Also, when it comes to bra sizes, most women are not accurately sized for their bras. Please keep in mind that a breast implant is a round object and has a certain diameter. Your base width on each side of your chest will determine "how big of a ball" or what diameter implant you can reliably go up to with a socially acceptable cosmetic outcome. The implant will "augment" or increase the size of your breasts to an amount acceptable to you and your surgeon. There is no correlation between height and weight and base width; therefore you need an in person examination to be accurately measured.

The most important thing to consider is really the size and look that is appealing to YOU with the implants you choose. Many surgeons have sizing models whether using bras with implants or computer simulation. I encourage you to discuss with your surgeon many of these considerations when deciding which implant and size to use during your surgery.

My patients will try on a sports bra and then we pick the implants based on their measured breast base width. For example, if your base width were to support for example up to a 600cc implant, I would have you try on the 600cc implants in the bra and then the 560cc or 550cc implants and afterwards select the implant that made YOU the happiest. In reality, don't stress too much as this is not a HUGE difference and should be the fun part of the process. Go with what is acceptable based on your measurements and makes you happiest and make sure to weigh the pros and cons of the options you are considering. You can also compare the moderate profile with high profile implants and see which look you like most. The profile of the implant will determine how much upper pole fullness and overall projection you portray.

Make sure to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in aesthetic breast surgery. I hope this helps answer your question and if you are uncertain about the recommendations made by the surgeon you met with recently, I encourage you to get further consultations. I wish the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "porn star" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast implant size

Thank you for your question. Implant selection for breast augmentation is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS