Pubic hair pulled higher from tummy tuck?

I have a tummy tuck scheduled and I'm concerned about my pubic hair being pulled up higher from the incision. I don't want to have to shave my belly. Is there any way to avoid that from happening or is that in the PS hands?

Hairline raised after abdominoplasty

This is an important topic to discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Generally this can be avoided by making the incision lower than the current hairline so that when the mons pubis is pulled upward, the hairline will only rise to a normal level.  This, in general, should not be a problem once you discuss it with your Board Certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Hairline raised after abdominoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Raised Pubic Hairline From Tummy Tuck

If this is a major concern then be sure to communicate this with your surgeon. The tummy tuck can be designed to avoid this problem. 

Raised Pubic Hairline From Tummy Tuck

It is in the hands of your surgeon

This is usually technique related. Deep fascia suturing is the most important stitch placed. However some patients can form weak scar tissue that may contribute to this suboptimal result.

It is in the hands of your surgeon

Raising your pubic hair

With proper technique, this should not occur. I avoid raising the pubic hair by keeping the incision low and tacking your incision down to your abdominal wall to avoid superior migration.  I would make sure you are having your surgery performed by a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience performing the procedure.   

Best regards,

Spencer Eagan M.D.

Spencer Leigh Eagan, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Raising your pubic hair

Best regards,

Spencer Eagan M.D.

Spencer Leigh Eagan, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

If the pubic hair is pulled up with a tummy tuck, that is poor surgical technique. Women who undergo a TT, have laxity in the pubic area as well. An "aged" pubic area tends to be more horizontal (wider than taller) as opposed to a young woman in her 20's with a more vertical orientation of the pubic triangle. With a TT, the pubic area gets rejuvenated, but it is important to suture the pubic soft tissues under the skin to the underlying fascia to prevent migration toward the belly button. Also, I personally, make my TT incisions low at the pubic bone level. Talk to your plastic surgeon, look at his/her TT photos and incisions to see if you like what you see. Good luck.

Hairy tummy

Hi and thank you for your question. It's a really important point that the surgeon needs to avoid with the planning of your surgery. Generally the incision line will remove some of your public hair so that when it is pulled up to meet the tummy coming down, the pubic hair ends in the same place it always was.
Having a hairy tummy is not the look your PS will be going for.

I hope that helps
Best of luck with your surgery
Dr Sam Cunneen
Plastic And Reconstructive Surgeon
Perth, Western Australia

Sam Cunneen, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon

Hairy tummy

I hope that helps
Best of luck with your surgery
Dr Sam Cunneen
Plastic And Reconstructive Surgeon
Perth, Western Australia

Sam Cunneen, MBBS, FRACS
Perth Plastic Surgeon

Mons pubis and abdominoplasty

Most surgeons will try to compensate for the "pull up" by reducing the mons pubis and marking the abdominoplasty incision on "stretch", but it doesn't always keep the scar as low as we sometimes would like.

Mons pubis and abdominoplasty