Worried that 400cc is not going to big enough! Any suggestions?

My BA is scheduled for September 13th and I am worried that 400cc is not going 2 be enough to reach my goal of being a D - DD! I told my PS I wanted 2 b a D - DD! He gave his opinion and I agreed. But is it true you loose 20-25cc when u go under the muscle? I just don't want to be sad I didn't go big enough! Should I call my PS 2 tell him I think I wanna go bigger even though this is not what you suggested?

Sizers help

Have you tried sizers to see how you look? That’s a good way to see if you’ll like the result. An implant will not lose CCs when placed under the muscle. It may be flattened out at first, but with time, your tissues do relax and your implants will fluff out, assuming a more natural shape.

You should know that bra sizes aren’t standardized, so when you say you want D-DD, make sure that you bring a bra in that size when you try on sizers at your surgeon’s office. It is not uncommon for one bra to be labeled a C and another a D even though they’re actually the same technical size. Make sure your surgeon understands what D-DD means to you.

Best Breast Implants for Me?

Thank you for the question.  There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

In my opinion, it is not possible to accurately determine how many CCs the you would “lose” when undergoing sub muscular breast augmentation surgery. I would suggest that you do not make your decisions based on statement such as: “you will lose 25 or 50 cc of volume when breast implants are placed under the muscle”. These statements are simply not reliable enough to utilize clinically. 

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon (and your ongoing concerns), I would suggest that you schedule additional time to spend with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

If there are doubts about sizing, then you should contact your surgeon before surgery. If you need to change the implant size, it's important to know ahead of time so that additional implants can be ordered.

Choosing breast implant size

Thank you for your question. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation.  The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation.  The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements.  We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires.  Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion.  If you think you should go bigger after your consultation then you should discuss this with your surgeon. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Size

With any doubt, you should request to speak with your surgeon regarding the size to ensure that he understands your goals and objectives. Once you are sure that he understands your desired appearance, then you will need to rely on the surgeon's experience and expertise. Breast Implant Size is a combination of subjective and objective criteria.380 cc is a reasonable recommendation. There is not a direct correlation between the cc's of a breast implant and the corresponding cup size, as cup size is an inexact measurement that varies considerably among companies and even within the same company. Online consultants will not be able to guide you as well as surgeons who perform in person consultation.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Yes, you should re visit your plastic surgeon and undergo breast implant sizing a second time.  In addition please read the link below and use the Rice test at home to evaluate the effect of 400 cc breast implants.  Very generally speaking 200 cc of breast implants should increase you by one cup size in the same style and manufacture of Brach that you currently wear.  Please read below:

Implant size is always a concern.   Since you are having second thoughts about the size, contact your surgeon for an appointment to try on sizers for a clear understanding of the volume being added.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Thank you for your question, it is a very common one.
It sounds like you have had a good discussion with your surgeon regarding your size.  If you think you may have chosen an implant that may be too small to achieve your goals, I would recommend contacting your surgeon (as you suggest). They may upsize the implant, or talk to you about why they feel that particular implant would actually make you happy in the long-run.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon