Can my breasts still drop 2 years later?

My surgery for breast augmentation was in April 2014 (2 years ago - smooth, round implants) and I am very happy with the results however; I would like my breasts to drop a bit more. I do feel that they are a little high and they look odd from the side. Is there ANYTHING I can do to make them drop a little lower although it's been 2 years? Thanks!!

Your results should be set by now.

Breast implants slowly soften and settle first for at least the first 6 months after a breast augmentation procedure. You may even notice changes in your breasts for up to a full year. Your breast implants shouldn’t drop any more after 2 years though. Massaging or a pectoral bandeau likely won’t affect the position of your breasts but shouldn’t hurt your implants if you want to try. If you’re concerned about the placement of your breast implants, you may want to see a plastic surgeon about revision surgery.

I do not like the shape of my breast. Can I do something about that?

I would probably guess that your breast implants are placed under the muscle and you probably needed a small uplift after children. Yes, there are different things that can be done to make your breasts look better but you do need to come in for a free consultation to discuss. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

As you heal from implant surgery

the scar tissue around the implant becomes more firm and established.  At 2 years post-op, I am not aware of anything that would allow you to manipulate them to get them to drop further.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and find out what your options are.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Appearance

Breast Appearance – The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. Massage – Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the postoperative period. Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.If you have not been recommended to massage or comfort the breasts in order to help them settle into place you may want to double-check with your surgeon as to their post-operative instructions. Do not hesitate to contact them in person if you are concerned at all, in order to make sure that the healing process has completed properly. Best of luck!

Hello, after 2 years it is unlikely that you will have a significant "drop". Depending on your anatomy and current implant position, you may need further surgery to improve the overall appearance. I would seek out a surgeon who can examine you and discuss your options. Good Luck.

Implant positioning

The capsule surrounding the implants at this point has matured and likely can't be modified without operative intervention.  You could try a pectoral bandeau to apply pressure along the upper pole but if no change is noted within a month further intervention may be required.

Michael A. Marschall, MD

High implants at 2 years post-op

Typically your breast implants will settle into the pockets within six months to a year. If the implants are riding high initially after surgery, a pectoral band is often placed to help the implants drop into the pockets. A combination of daily breast massages beginning one week post-op can also help the implants settle into the pockets. However, if the breasts have not dropped at two years, it is a good idea to return to your plastic surgeon. Good luck!

John S. Lee, MD

Most likely not

Breast implants after breast augmentation surgery usually settle during the first 6 months and certainly by the first year.  The implant capsule matures and further settling becomes less noticeable.Discuss your issue with your surgeon.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS