Going from 36 B to 36 DD or DDD. Is that reasonable or is that going to be hard to get me there? I am 5'11" and 160lbs (Photo)

I originally went in for a consultation wanting just a D and after looking at tons of pictures and realizing how tall and wide my body is I want to go bigger. I am currently a 36B and want to get to hopefully a 36DD or DDD if possible. I have wide hips and want to look proportanite. I have a very athletic build and I think it would look good going that big. Do you think it's reasonable to go that big considering my weight and height?

To have large breasts, you have to use large breast implants for your breast augmentation.  I certainly would recommend using silicone gel breast implants.  The size of the breast implant will be determined by your anatomy.  I think you will need implants in excess of 600cc to achieve your goals.  I would discuss with your surgeon about the risks and limitations of large breast implants.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Going from 36 B to 36 DD or DDD. Is that reasonable or is that going to be hard to get me there? I am 5'11" and 160lbs

Thank you for the question.It's important to not focus on the cup size. The cup size after breast augmentation surgery is impossible to predict, because bra sizing is not standardized and cup sizes vary between manufacturers.You want to focus on goal look. From your wish photos, it appears that you desire a large breast that looks augmented. This will require a large implant.It's important to understand that large implants will affect your natural breast tissue and skin with time. The additional weight will thin your breast tissue/skin and cause your breasts to sag. Large implants cause natural breast sagging to occur more quickly. It's important to understand the downsides of large implants and the challenges for revision surgeries after large implants. It's good to at least talk about these issues with your plastic surgeon before you select your final implant size.Good luck with the process.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you  is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon Yes and No.

Selecting the best size implants

Keep in mind that a bra size is just a number!  The important thing is that you are happy with how you look.   Different doctors use different methods of helping patients select their implant size.  If your doctor has you try implants on in your bra, it will give you a good idea of what you will look like with various size implants.  There are several measurements of your breast that can be correlated to implant sizes and styles that help determine maximum implant volume and profile that is best for you.  Based on my experience, I usually recommend to my patients that they go as big as they are comfortable with and I can safely place because I very rarely see patients who wish they had gone smaller after surgery.  Have a candid discussion with your surgeon about the size you are considering and he or she will be able to recommend an implant that can be safely placed and will help you meet your goals. Best of luck!

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon