I just had Juvederm Voluma. I notice some bruising. Will the ice affect the Voluma that was just injected?

Will ice help ? Will ice affect the quality of the voluma that has been injected?

Bruising after Voluma

Bruising can occur after Voluma treatment, but it is usually minimal.  Ice applied to the treated area may help minimize swelling and bruising and will not affect the Voluma itself.  You may want to consider taking Arnica as a supplement to help with the bruising.  It comes in both a pill and cream form and is available in most vitamin stores.

Treatment for Bruising after Voluma

Bruising, although uncommon, can happen following the placement of Voluma. Icing will help minimize injection related swelling and minimize, but will not eliminate bruising. Fortunately, icing will not diminish your Voluma results.  Patients taking anticoagulation medications and certain herbal supplements are at a higher risk for bruising following filler, therefore avoidance of these medications is recommended prior to treatment. Arinca, an over the counter herbal supplement, has also been shown to minimize and improve bruising in some patients.

Jacob Boeckmann, MD
San Clemente Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Bruising

In my experience, very few patients bruise with Voluma.  Those who do are usually on blood thinning medication.

That having been said, ice sometimes helps, as does Arnica, both internal and topical.  The bruises go away quickly and once they are gone, you should enjoy the wonderful result that you have -- the refreshed, less tired look.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Voluma and use of ice post treatment

It is perfectly fine to use ice post procedure for the minimization of bruising, which is always a possibility, and I always make sure that patients are aware that this could happen especially if a patient has been taking aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil or other blood thinners. Bruises will resolve within a few days usually. You could take a supplement called Arnica Montana orally or there is also a topical gel that is effective as well. I always apply an ice pack pre injection to help minimize bruising.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Ice for Bruising after Voluma and Juvederm

After an injectable procedure with filler such as Voluma, ice can reduce the risk of developing a bruise. In addition, elevating the head while sleeping (sleeping in a recliner or with a few extra pillows) will decrease swelling by minimizing the effect of gravity.

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Ice for bruising after Voluma will not affect results

Ice can help control bruising only to a small degree in my opinion. I treat all bruising with a vascular laser, Excel V. This makes the bruise last for a couple days. The key is avoiding bruising by going to a doc that uses cannulas. Arnica might help a little too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Bruising after Juvederm Voluma Injections

Anytime you have an injection, there is a risk of a bruise.  I inject Juvederm Voluma with a blunt tipped microcannula instead of a needle to decrease the risk of a bruise.  If you develop a bruise I would:

1)  Take the supplement Arnica Montana 
2)  Cold compress for 2 days
3)  Switch to warm compress after 2 days.  The warm compressed with help the bruise resolve.

What to do about bruising after filler injection

Ice will not affect the filler you had placed. While ice will help prevent further bruising at the injection site for the short time after the procedure, it does not do much to get rid of the bruise. 

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ice after Voluma

Ice will have no affect on your Voluma and I often have patients ice after injection.  Another treatment that is helpful with injection is an herbal supplement, Arnica Montana, which you can find at a local health food store and has been shown to help decrease bruising and resolve it faster.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of bruising after Voluma

It is okay to use ice on the area where you developed bruising after your Voluma treatment.  The ice will not affect the Voluma.  Be sure to use the ice and and off so that it does not damage your skin however.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon