Voluma absorption; how does it absorb back into the body?

I know Voluma lasts up to 24 months but how does it absorb back into the body? Does it hold well for 12 months then absorb quickly or should I be noticing a difference month on month? It's been 9.5 months since I had 1ml injected into the high cheek region but I can't notice that it is dissolving yet.

Voluma Is Broken Down By Body's Natural Chemistry

Voluma's active ingredient is hyaluronic acid – a substance that our body produces naturally to plump and lubricate the skin. Other substances in our body – enzymes called hyaluronidases – over time break down the Voluma. The rate at which this occurs varies by individual. In some people, Voluma can last up to two years. You may be one of the lucky ones who have a long-lasting effect. When it does break down, it is a slow gradual subtle process. Don’t worry that your cheeks will suddenly drop!  I usually suggest retreatment or a touch up at 12 – 15 months after to maintain the lovely effect of Voluma before it diminishes. If you have any other concerns, please consult a board-certified dermatologist.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question.  Voluma is comprised of hyaluronic acid, a natural occurring substance in the body.  Over time, the Voluma is slowly broken down by the body and enzymes called hyaluronidases.  Absorption rate is different from person-to-person, as well as highly dependent on where in the face the filler is placed.  Areas of greater facial animation will tend to see more rapid absorption than areas of the face that do not tend to animate as much.  Hope that this helps. 

Voluma absorptoin

The rate at which Voluma breaks down after injection can be variable from person to person.  While some individuals may have it stick around for 24 months, others may only see it last 12 months.  Voluma tends to stick around longer in the high cheek region vs. other areas of the face.

Voluma is a hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance in the body.  An enzyme called hyaluronidase is responsible for breaking it down.  Your body will treat Voluma like other hyaluronic acid in the body and use hyaluronidase to break it down slowly over time.  

You likely see gradual change over 12 to 24 months.  While some individuals may notice Voluma absorb quickly, you may be one of the lucky ones to have it last longer.

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon