If a breast augmentation causes uneven breasts is the surgeon going to pay for the surgery required to fix the problem?

I agree with my colleagues in pointing out that in most cases some asymmetry is normal but in other cases patient healing may lead to displacement or capsular contracture for which neither you nor your surgeon is responsible.  My policy in my Beverly Hills office is to generally revise surgery if needed in the first 18 months if a complication develops without charging for my services but the patient is responsible for all costs (new implants, anesthesia, OR fee, etc.).  

Maintaining calm and open communication is the key in discussing options.  I hope that your revision work is successful and leads to a satisfying outcome for you.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery.  It is difficult to comment specifically without viewing photographs or in person physical examination. 

Generally speaking, some degree of breast asymmetry is normal,  both naturally and after breast surgery.  Significant breast asymmetry  may require revisionary breast surgery,  again understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achievable (and never promised).

Policy regarding coverage of expenses for revisionary surgery will vary from office to office and probably on a case-by-case basis as well. Costs of revisionary surgery may range from zero, to anesthesia/surgery center fees, to discounted surgeon's fees.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing elective surgery should understand that complications may arise and that additional expenses (even if the plastic surgeon does not charge for his/her services) may be patient responsibility.   

Also generally speaking, I suggest that patients communicate their concerns in a calm/constructive fashion. Avoidance of inflammatory terms (such as "botched") and/or "blame"  is helpful when it comes to maintaining respectful physician/patient relationship and communication.

Best wishes; again hopefully through courteous/respectful communication you and your plastic surgeon will be able to work out a plan to improve your outcome. 

The medical term for unevenness from side to side is asymmetry. On examining any patient all good plastic surgeons can find at least 5 or more differences between a woman's breasts in a few seconds. We point out to all patients that they are uneven before surgery and it is a guarantee they will be uneven after surgery. So if you have a little unevenness after surgery that is considered the normal condition for humans. BUT if you have a significant difference after surgery of a greater degree than you started with and not due to your natural anatomy, you and the surgeon will both want to correct that. Most surgeons will have some reduced fee structure for this and that should be make clear to you before surgery. You would still have expenses to some degree such as anesthesia charges, operating room fees and possible new implants. This does not happen very often. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD