How often/long to wear silicone scar sheeting?

I've just had a breast revision with anchor lift and got silicone scar strips to help flatten and help the scarring on my incisions. The package says you can wear 6-24h per day. Is wearing it more better? Or should I let my skin have a break?

Wear it as long as possible

Thanks for the great question! Although silicone sheeting does work really well, it tends to get annoying after awhile then patients stop using it. You ideally want to keep it on 24 hours a day for 3 months! I use a liquid version of silicone sheeting called Biocorneum with my patients. They put a thin layer on twice a day and it helps to keep the scarring as fine as possible. Although the company recommends using it for at least 3 months, I tell patient that they should use it for a full year. I think you're able to purchase it on Amazon. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Silicone sheets for scars

Hello and thank you for your question. I always recommend silicone strips for my patients. The things that help with scarring are silicone, moisturization, UV protection and in some cases pressure. When I advise my patients on using silicone strips I advise they be worn 24 hours a day and are only to be taken off to shower. The more you wear them the better. They can be re-used until they stop sticking. If you notice the silicone is resulting in excess moisture(sweat) or skin irritation then you may need to give a break every couple of hours to let the area dry. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD 

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Lift

You may be surprised to know that silicone sheeting has never been shown scientifically to improve scarring.  The only scar product that has clinical evidence that it works is Embrace.  You can ask your surgeon about it.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon