Can't Open Eyes 25 Days After Blepharoplasty

My eyes are still puffy and swollen 25 days after upper Blepharoplasty procedure. I'm also having problems opening my eyes, and the scars hurt and feel tight. Is this temporary? What can be done about it?

Call your surgeon

While it is common to have swelling after surgery, by 25 days you should be seeing improvement and you should be able to open your eyes. It is hard to tell from the picture, but your upper lids look more red than I would expect as well. You may have an underlying infection or other issue which needs to be addressed. You should contact your surgeon soon for an evaluation.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

Call your surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
Shafer Plastic Surgery
New York City

Not normal

Not being able to your eyelids 25 days after surgery is NOT normal. Please call your surgeon immediately or see an eye specialist to make sure you do not have an infection or reaction to the suture being used. There are many layers to the eyelid, and when performing eyelid surgeon be sure to use someone who is an expert in this field!

Not normal

Swelling after eyelid surgery

It is not normal to have this level of swelling more than 3 weeks after surgery. I would discuss your issues with your surgeon.

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Swelling after eyelid surgery

Jeffrey M. Joseph, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post operative care

The eyes always swell significantly after surgery. That being said, by 25 days post op I would expect more improvement. This can be affected by other medical problems, medications, diet (you want a low salt diet to reduce swelling) and possibly infection. The one thing you really want to rule out is infection so please contact your surgeon. 

Try and sit with your head above 30 degrees most of the day and even at night if possible.

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post operative care

Best of luck.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

See Your Surgeon

Thank your for your question and pictures.  Unfortunately eyelid surgery does cause swelling however 25 days post op is not typical.  Please seek advice from your plastic surgeon as soon as possible, there could be an underlying infection.

All The Best

See Your Surgeon

All The Best

Eyelid surgery

Please visit your surgeon for further evaluation.  25 days is too long and is not normal.  Hope this has resolved already by time this question is answered

Eyelid surgery

I would advise paying your surgeon a follow-up visit to make sure that you don’t have an infection.

At 25 days after upper blepharoplasty surgery, in most patients the swelling has resolved enough that they do not have trouble opening their eyes. Every patient heals differently, but I would advise paying your surgeon a follow-up visit to make sure that you don’t have some kind of infection or complication slowing your recovery. I hope this helps.

Problems opening your eyes after blephroplasty

I would recommend immediately contacting your surgeon and getting a second opinion if they are not very concerned.  25 days after surgery it is not typical to have this issue.

Slow recovery

At this point, it is typical for the swelling to have subsided enough that opening the eyes isn’t as problematic as you describe. While each patient recovers at a different rate, I think your recovery seems to be a little slower than it should be. I suggest you have your surgeon examine your results to make sure you’re on track to a proper recovery. In the meantime, please follow your surgeon’s instructions closely to help with healing.

Slow recovery

The redness and tightness of your upper eyelid surgery scars should improve with time.

Your single digital photo is not a substitute for an examination, but you appear to have good eye closure which is important. You should discuss your concerns with our surgeon since every person and procedure is different. Upper Blepharoplasty incisions tend to soften and heal uneventfully with time.

Wishing you well.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wishing you well.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon