Can getting a tummy tuck after a breast augmentation affect the location of the implant?

I want a BA (which is scheduled in 2 weeks) and a TT but I can't afford them together at the moment. My PS said they would actually only charge me the Mommy makeover price when I did get to get it done. My question is, can a TT be preformed after a BA and it not affect your BA? I know the skin is pulled tight so wouldn't that pull the breast down as well? I decided on the BA first bc recovery time is shorter and school is around the corner. Leaving the TT until summer starts. Thanks!

Thank you for the question.  You seem to have a well thought out plan.  The lower portion of the breast fold actually has attachments to the chest wall.  In normal circumstances, a tummy tuck will affect the lower portion of the breast minimally and can be safely executed after a breast augmentation.  However, after massive weight loss (over 100 Lbs), the soft tissue of the entire torso can be loose enough that this combination of surgeries needs to be approached with additional planning and caution.  A board certified plastic surgeon will be able to advise you what approach is best for you after an in-person consultation.  Best of luck.

--Dr. Mussman

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty after a breast augmentation will not affect the position of the implants.

The bottom of the breast inserts on the chest wall and will not be disrupted by a properly executed abdominoplasty. The operation was no effect on the position of the breast implants.

Should not be a problem

Thanks for the question. You don't need to worry. Breast augmentation should not be affected by abdominoplasty in most circumstances. The lower fold of the breast supports the breast tissue and should not be disturbed by the abdominoplasty. In rare cases of severe weight loss, skin excision in various areas of the body can affect other areas and requires planning with a comprehensive plan.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after breast augmentation

You should be fine having a tummy tuck after your breast augmentation. Your implants should not be affected by the tummy tuck.

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Sequence of surgery

You most certainly can get a tummy tuck after a breast augmentation. The tummy tuck will not affect the position of your breast augmentation. Good luck. 

Tummy Tuck after BA

You should be fine having a tummy tuck at a later date following breast augmentation. Good Luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

A tummy tuck should not affect your breast implants

A tummy tuck should not affect your breast implants.  The tissue which supports the breast will not be disturbed. 

Tummy Tuck After Breast Augmentation

Absolutely! You are smart to think about that. If the procedures are performed at the same time, it is more likely to affect the position of the breasts. If you are having the procedures staged (separated by a few months), it is unlikely to significantly change the position of the implants. It would be very unlikely, under any circumstances, to move the implants to an undesireable location.  Best of luck to you!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I do not believe that a tummy tuck will change the position of a breast implant but having a tighter and flatter abdomen can make your breasts seem larger. Most of my patients elect to have the two procedures combined together but I see no reason you cannot have a good result with a tummy tuck later this year. Good luck with your surgery.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Tummy tuck effect on breast implants

Thank you for your mommy make-over question.
  • Your tummy tuck should not affect your breast implants
  • Reason - the breast implants are supported by the tough tissue in the breast crease -
  • If your implants are 'bottoming out' - that is, if they are moving down your chest below the breast itself, a tummy tuck could change their appearance, theoretically,
  • I have not in fact ever seen that happen. best wishes.