What are my options on financing for Mommy Makeover?

I have a consultation set up with the surgeon this coming Saturday. I have applied for CareCredit and have been declined with a score of 650. My husband is agreeing to co-sign for me with whatever financing I can go through. I am having the mommy makeover done for $14k. I'm afraid that if he co-signs we still may not be approved for the total amount I need for the surgery. If that is the case, what are my options? He works with CareCredit, MedicalFinancing, United Medical Credit, and M-Lend.

The Approximate Costs of a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees. Approximate #costs can be found here on the Real Self website, Surgery.org, or PlasticSurgery.org. Also, the costs are contingent on the specific #procedures being combined in the operation. Such will be discussed in greater length during your one-on-one consultation. Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Financing A Mommy Make Over

Cosmetic surgery can be a life changing event. In order to fully enjoy the benefits you must also feel comfortable with the financial obligations. Traditionally the cost of cosmetic surgery is paid "up front" meaning before the procedure is performed.. In order to meet this financial obligation a patient can either save up for it in advance or use some type of credit. Many practices will allow patients to pay with credit cards. If a patient's credit is not ideal occasionally a family member will either lone them the money or cosign a loan with them. Other options include utilization of some type of credit designed specifically for cosmetic surgical patients. There are several different companies that provide loans for cosmetic surgery. The interest rates for thes types of loans are usually higher than a conventional lone because it is unsecured. Unsecured means that the lender has nothing they can take back' such as a car or a house' if a person fails to make the payments. Although there are many companies who make these type of loans two of the most popular lenders seem to be CareCredit and Prosper. Our patient's have had a good experience with both of these programs. Another popular company is Alpheon. These type of lending companies allow you to make your application over the Internet and provide an answer quickly. It is important however to find out beforehand whether their inquiry will effect your credit score. Some companies have what is called a "soft inquiry" which will not affect your credit score. When considering a loan company such as these it is very important to understand the terms of the lone and the differences between different lending programs. Some of the questions that you should ask when comparing different lenders are: What are the amounts available? How long are the terms good for? What are the interest rates and do they change? Is the money funded directly to the doctor or the patient? What are the transaction fees.? Will the interest rate and monthly payment change during the life of the lone? Are there any pre-payment penalties? Will all treatments, procedures, medications and associated costs such as travel and lodging be covered. Each company is a little different. You should be careful in selecting the one that best fits your particular situation so that your financial obligation does not interfere with the potentially life changing experience of your cosmetic surgical procedure.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Financing options

We have worked with Credit Medical and Crelogix in Canada and have found them to be pretty convenient for both us and the patient.

Thank you for the question!   Financing is certainly an option for aesthetic procedures. Those companies that you listed are some of the reputable ones.  Applications are necessary and a viable option if you qualify. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Financing Options

Please speak with the staff at your plastic surgeons office to learn more about the different financing options they offer.  Best wishes.

There are many financing companies that may be able to help with this.

It is always in patient's best interest to achieve a certain degree of financial stability prior to undergoing elective surgery of any type. Patients should also keep in mind that additional surgery may be necessary in the short or long term, following the primary procedure that is being performed;  this additional surgery may be associated  out-of-pocket expenses. Again, best to achieve a physical, emotional, psychosocial, and financial “stable state” prior to considering elective plastic surgery. Best wishes.

Financing cosmetic Surgery

Thank you for your financing question.
  • If you have a poor credit score, I truly feel you and your husband should be some financial advice before your having any elective surgery,
  • I am sure you want a Mommy Make-Over and that it is important
  • But you really should be in a stable financial position before doing so.
  • You should get quotes from all the financing companies you mention and then you and your husband should sit down with a financial adviser at your bank to understand what financial risks you are taking. Best wishes.