Received Botox on my forehead and now I'm getting frown lines, will this go away?

I received botox on the forehead closer to the hair line and now I'm getting frown lines I didn't have before above the eye brow and frown line area. Would this go away? Is this uncommon or should I be worried and get botox again above the eye brow area?

Frown lines after Botox

thyme,

Botox takes effect in the muscles that it is injected in,  With your description, it is more likely that since the lines of the forehead have relaxed and the "new" frown lines above the eyebrows are more visible in comparision to before you were treated.  There are muscles in your forhead/brow area whose action is to elevate or depress the area.  The muscles in the forehead/frown area have actions that elevate or depress, and each patients muscle anatomy can some variation.  Your result will depend on which muscles were elevated and which were depressed.  Have a follow up appointment with your doctor, you may just need additional Botox to correct the lines.  Best of luck.

New wrinkles after Botox

Thank you for your question thyme. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It is important to understand how Botox works. Botox relaxes muscles responsible for facial expression. When a muscle is relaxed, the opposing muscle acts unopposed and can appear stronger and new wrinkles may be visible. In the case of brow movement, there are muscles that elevate the brow and there are opposing muscles that pulls down on the brow. The muscles that elevate the brow are in the upper forehead and one of the muscles that pulls down on the brow is between the brows. When the muscles that elevate the brow on the forehead are relaxed with Botox, the muscles between the brow act unopposed and wrinkles may become visible there. This can easily be addressed with Botox in this area. When addressing wrinkles in the forehead area I advise my patients to treat both muscles (at least somewhat) to avoid such effects. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox: new forehead lines after injection

Botox ( like Xeomin, Dysport) is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively relax them for fewer softer wrinkles. 

When you inject and relax the forehead, the eyebrows settle down. For many patients this is not noticed. For other patients it causes excess skin to bunch up on the upper eyelids. To compensate, areas of the forehead that are not relaxed by Botox contract to lift the brows up again, producing new wrinkles that you've never had before. You can wait to see if the new wrinkles settle or a small dose of Botox can be injected. It's a balancing act. I recommend being conservative with foreheads or the brow will noticeably droop. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lift and Soften - Don't Just 'Chase' Lines

My approach to rejuvenating the face  involves producing a soft, natural, lifted look.  Just because there are lines in an area, does not mean that they necessarily need to be treated.  The upper forehead (the frontalis muscle), acts to raise the brow.  Chasing the lines it produces, does not necessarily contribute to your best look.  

The complex of muscles between the eyebrows, when in action, serves to depress the brow and constrict the eyes.  This is where Botox should have first been applied. The upper forehead can be left untreated, except for a very small dose if indeed the lines are very deep.  A soft, lifted brow, in my opinion, is the goal.

David Owers, MD
Vancouver Physician

Frown lines.

Thanks for your question. I believe this is over compensation of the frown line muscles. That's why I prefer to treat the forehead and the frown together instead of separately. I suggest you speak with you injector. I believe it would benefit to have some Botox or Dysport to the frown lines. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

This may be recruitment of other muscle fibres

Thank you for your question which is a very frequent question asked by many patients who received treatment with botulinum toxin. During the first couple of weeks or so there may be a period of rebalancing of lines and wrinkles and muscle activity. If at about 2-4 weeks there is some muscle activity that you are not happy with then you should return to your treating practitioner and they can just tweak your treatment to your satisfaction.

Ravi Jain, MBBS
London Physician

New lines after botox

I usually wait 1-2 weeks following Botox injections to determine which areas require a "touch-up" procedure. Often times, applying a small amount of Botox can correct these "new lines", which are compensating for the areas which have been treated with Botox. In order to determine if additional Botox injections would help in your situation, I recommend a proper physical examination with your facial plastic surgeon.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Creating New Lines

Thank you so much for your question.  I completely understand the issue with the lines you are referring to as "frown lines".  When botox is applied to the frontalis muscle across the forehead, other areas of the muscle can over-compensate creating these new lines above the brows that are causing you frustration.  This is, however, easily fixed.  By administering 1 unit above the lateral end of each brow, these new lines will be completely smoothed out without causing you to experience brow heaviness.  Next time you have a full treatment with botox, tell your injector what occurred with the pulling in the muscle above the brows.  That way, you can be treated initially with a unit or two of botox in this area and avoid the lines and wrinkles.  Wishing you so much bliss on your journey!

Remus Repta, MD

New Lines with Botox--Try Venus Legacy to Soften

This is tough to answer without pictures. It's still too early for your final results, but sometimes there can be new lines with compensating muscles. This can be improved with a touch up of Botox or the area can be softened with Venus Legacy treatments. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

New Lines after Botox

Thank you for your question!  I would wait at least 2 weeks after your injection before making a final assessment of your results.  Many times you will see new lines, which are compensating for the areas which have been relaxed by the Botox.  If these have not gone away in 2 weeks, you may need additional injections.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your injector.  We see our patients back in 2 weeks to assure that the results meet their expectations.

I hope that this helps!

-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon