I had a swollen jaw muscle after botox.

Yesterday I went to see a doctor at the same clinic I had my first and second botox injection. I remember the first time and the second time there are no problem like swelling up. I'm so concerned right now. Is it normal? Ps. I had 25 units for each side. Thank you so much

Botox

Having swelling after injections treatment is normal. It should go away within 2 weeks . You can apply some ice in the area. If not you should contact your doctor where you have done the treatment. Good luck . 

Montreal Dermatologist

Swelling concerns...

Thanks for this question. I believe your swelling will resolve pretty soon. Considering icing with frozen peas or corn 20 minutes off and 20 minutes on. I suggest you contact your injector if swelling gets worse. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox injection and swelling

Swelling and bruising are not uncommon after injectable treatments including Botox. Any swelling will resolve in the few days after treatment. If it doesn't I would follow up with your treating physician.

Swelling after Botox

Thank you for your question fernchilling. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter muscle to help with clenching of the jaw and TMJ or to contour the lower face. After any injection there is a risk for swelling. This usually resolves in two weeks. I recommend that my patients apply ice packs and sleep on an extra pillow to minimize swelling. 

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician