Why is my entire forehead red after botox? (Photo)

Been getting botox for years and went to a new Dr today. About 10 hours later this is what I look like. I've never had this happen. I looked him up on the botox website and he does buy from them. Obviously I'm allergic to something but what could it be? How long will this last? I'm so stressed out. I took benadryl so I hope that helps.

Allergy after Botox

Thank you for your question heather.b. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Allergic reactions can cause redness and swelling. Contact allergies typically are distributed in a pattern similar to where the contact was. This is possible, for example, if a person is allergic to latex and a square ice pack was placed in a latex glove and applied to the skin. Such contact allergies typically resolve in a day or two. I recommend my patients treat them with topical over-the-counter steroids such as hydrocortisone 1% or oral Benadryl. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Forehead redness after Botox injection

Given the shape and distribution of the redness, it is likely not from the actual Botox injections but possibly what had been used to cleanse the skin prior to the injection. Alternatively, if you had a topical anesthetic applied prior to the injections, that could cause a similar reaction. Finally, if any creams or lotions were placed on the skin after the injections, a similar reaction could occur. I would discuss with your injector. 

Botox forehead

Hi there, 

The square patch on your forehead looks like a contact allergy. It is extremely  well delineated and follows a pattern that had the same contact on your forehead. Botox injections are not performed this way.

Therefore, I would say it is not due to your injections.

Cynthia Stolovitz, MD
Montreal Physician

Red after botox

From your picture it looks as if something square was placed on your forehead. Botox would not create such a sharply demarcated shape. Did you have topical anesthetic applied or a bandage/adhesive? An ice pack? I think it would be impossible for Botox injections to create this mark. I think you are reacting to either something done pre-or post injection.

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red mark on forehead

based on the picture you posted, the red mark is not from Botox. The mark is sharply defines and delineated into a geometric shape which is certainly due to something that was placed or applied to your forehead. IT is absolutely not due to your Botox injection.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red forehead after Botox.

Hi Heather and thanks for this question. I think it's more likely you're reacting to the skin preparation solution than the Botox. You should contact your injector and continue to monitor your skin for any continuing signs of allergic reaction. I doubt it's the Botox since you're been getting it for many years. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD