Do I have a recessed chin, and if so, what can be done about it? (Photo)

I'm a 19 year old male and lately I've noticed some jaw pain. I've also had a sore throat upon waking up every day and after doing some research I've come to believe that the problem might be a recessed chin. Are these things connected, and do I even have one?

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin implant candidate for a recessive chin

The photographs demonstrate a weak and recessive chin profile, for which a chin implant can improve and augment for cosmetic purposes.  A weak chin has nothing to do with jaw pain or sore throat.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of  sizes and shapes, and are usually placed through a small incision underneath the chin under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  Chin implants are performed purely for cosmetic purposes. For more information, diagrams and many before and after examples of chin implants,  please see the link and video below

Do I have a recessed chin, and if so, what can be done about it?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. A weak chin by itself would not explain sore throats. You may want to see your GP to have your sore throats worked up.

Hope this helps.