Explanation for massaging Chin Implants?

I'm probably the last person who could call himself an expert on Chin implants. But it just seems like a terrible idea to me, this recommendation I keep hearing to "massage your implant" after surgery. Isn't implant displacement a huge possible problem? Wouldn't massaging it be the very last thing you want to do? What's the thinking behind this recommendation, and how much risk does it introduce in reality?

Dear ChinBurger, I perform multiple chin augmentations procedure each week and have been performing chin augmentation for thirty years and I have never asked a patient to massage their chin implant. I am not sure what the reason for this recommendation would provide to a patient. If you have concerns seek a secondary opinion. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Massaging a chin implant

We have been performing chin implants for over 25 years, and have never asked any of our patients to massage  their chin implant, since it will  not have any benefit. The implant is placed in a precise pocket, and does not shift move or migrate, or get displaced because of that. It is also sewn in place to the periosteum. For  many chin implant before-and-after results, please see the  link and the video below

Chin implant massaging

Not sure where you heard to massage your chin implant after surgery but that is a TERRIBLE idea.  I agree in that the implant is placed in a very specific pocket and the last thing you want to do is move it.  You are right

Rady Rahban, MD

You might be getting mixed up with the recommendation to massage breast implants. There is no reason to massage a chin implant, in fact it sounds like a very bad idea. I've been doing this for over 30 years and have never heard of anyone who gives that advice. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.   A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 
 I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  I discourage touching and would not recommend or encourage massaging the chin implant any time.  I agree with your conclusions that this makes no practical sense.

Hope this helps.

Massaging Chin Implants???

I have never had a patient massage a chin implant and can not explain a reason to do so. After breast implants many surgeons have patients stretch or massage the implant areas in an attempt to prevent capsule formation. But with facial implants a thick capsule is usually preferred.  It is not clear from your question that you received this information from your surgeon. If you did then contact your surgeon to clarify what he or she wants you to do.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant

I can think of no known benefit to massaging the chin after the placement of a chin implant. In most cases it would probably not displace the implant but that is a theoretical risk if the implant is not secured by screw fixation.