Can I have Botox injections if I do contact sports?

Can an impact injury ( punch or kick) cause Botox to travel or move somewhere you don't want?

Contact sports are safe following Botox injections.

Contact sports are safe following Botox injections. I recommend to wait 90 minutes after Botox injections before resuming sports as it takes that long to bind to the muscle.. After that, there’s no risk of Botox moving somewhere unwanted.

Dallas Dermatologist

Botox and contact sports

Hi Mateo, you can definitely do contact sports after Botox. I would wait for 2-3 after the injection but, beyond that, you should be fine.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Generally OK, But Wait a Couple Days to Be Sure

Thank you for your question. The tissue surrounding your injection sites absorbs the botulinum toxin right away, so there's no need to worry about it moving to another area. However, contact sports can result in unexpected injury — and any potential swelling to the areas that have been injected could complicate matters. Out of an abundance of caution, I would recommend waiting a day or 2 before getting back on the field. Good luck to you!

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Yes, it can it can impact your results. We suggest refraining from contact sports for 3 days. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Sports

You can definitely do Botox if you do sports but I would suggest you not doing any exercise of that type for 3 days after your Botox injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox when doing contact sports

There is absolutely no reason you cannot do contact sports after Botox injections. You should refrain though during the first 48-72 hours.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is safe to do contact sports following Botox injections.  However, you should avoid strenuous activity or direct trauma to the injection site for the first 24 to 48 hours.  This should prevent excessive bruising at the injection sites.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Botox and contact sports

You can definitely have Botox if you do contact sports. Though immediately after placement isn't recommended. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience in this to make sure it is injected appropriately. Best, Dr. Emer

Contact sports after botox

Botox starts to absorbs right after it is injected and should not move or migrate. Although, I would advise you not to engage any contact or aggressive activity a few hours post injection just to be on the safe side. 

Botox and contact sports

Contact sports won't cause your Botox to travel after the first 24 hours. The injected fluid gets absorbed the first day.

Take it easy the day of your injection, and then you may return to all of your normal activities the next day. It's always a good idea to start slow and build up. Follow any other instructions given to you by the person performing the injection. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon