32A to a full C, what size implant?

I'm a 32A looking to go to a full C. I don't want to be too big or obvious. I'm looking to achieve a natural look. My doctor recommended 450cc but I think that is too big. I'm 5'9" 140lbs with an athletic build and narrow hips. I don't want all the focus to be on my breasts. Just a proportional natural look. What size implants should I go?

Utilize implant sizing tools to help you visualize your potential results.

This is a great question. It can be difficult to visualize how different implant sizes might look on your body, so using various sizing tools can be very helpful. Look for a plastic surgery practice offering Vectra 3D imaging, which allows you to virtually try on different implants before choosing the right one. If this isn’t an option with your plastic surgeon, using sizer bras and photos of what your ideal shape might look like are useful, too. You’re right to want to consider how the proportions of your body will be affected by your implants, so make sure you clearly communicate these concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

It's not about VOLUME. It's SIZE, SHAPE, and PLACEMENT

Great questions krizdeen! It would be impossible to any surgeon to reliably tell you what size implant you would need without examining you.  And, truth be told, it is not the VOLUME of the implant that is critical, but the SIZE, SHAPE, and PLACEMENT of the implant.  FIrst, size not volume.  You can have two implants of exactly the same VOLUME, but be entirely different sizes and shapes:  Implants can be round, tall, flat, "anatomic," form stable, narrow, broad, etc.   A saline implant is also very different from a silicon implant, and that probably has more effect on your outcome that simply the volume of the implant.

It really comes down to the size and shape of your chest and breasts and what your cosmetic goals are.

Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed and satisfying procedures we perform as board-certified Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons, and we can really obtain a wide range of outcomes depending on what your goals are and what types of implants you desire.

Sizing Choice

Thanks for your question.  It is hard to say if this size will be to big on you without seeing a picture or doing a physical examination.  See if your surgeon has sizers and/or a 3d imaging machine to better show you what 450cc implant would look like on your body.  Hope this will help to reduce any fears and help you come to a decision the right implant choice for you. 

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

You should see what you will get using sizers...

and if you made a rice sizer with 1.75 cups of rice, that would provide you a 420 cc sizer.  Use an unlined bra and if this looks good on you, the 450 cc implant will work great.  If its good big for your personality, then downsize.  1.5 cups of rice is 360 cc.  I always add 10% to whatever volume my patients like in their bra and the outcome is usually good... but more often than not, their desired look will exceed what cup size they thought they wanted.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

32A to a full C, what size implant?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. A preoperative sizing kit is helpful in my practice. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.  Consideration for an anatomically-shaped silicone implant may give the natural-appearing result you desire and an implant dimension that would fit your breast width perfectly.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

32A to a full C, what size implant?

Thank you for your question.  Implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon.  Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest.  It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like.  It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  The best advice would be to schedule an appointment with your operating surgeon to utilize sizer implants and see which size best helps you achieve the look you desire.  Bring goal photos and even a goal bra with you to help with your choice.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Going from an A to a C cup

In my opinion a 350cc implant would get you to a full C. In my practice, we use silicone sizers and 3D imaging to help you choose the perfect size implants. 

For every 175cc, you can expect a one cup increase in breast size. Everyone's body types are different and cup size truly is unpredictable and varies per bra manufacturer.

- Dr. Bryson Richards