Do I have to avoid push ups after Breast Augmentation?

My PS says that it would be best to avoid all push-ups forever after BA. I do gym classes that are very intense and offen include push ups. I'm getting silicone 400cc under the muscle implants.(I'm 5' 7' 160lbs) My PS says that bc they are under the muscle it's more likely to get pushed out of place if I do push-ups and chest exercises. Can I do more tricep push-ups? I need to workout to stay in shape or this is all a waste!

You should avoid strenuous exercise for at least 6 weeks after breast augmentation.

Thanks for your question. Although everyone will heal slightly differently, it’s recommended that you don’t reintroduce your body to strenuous physical activity, including push-ups, for at least 6 weeks post-op. Returning to exercise too quickly after your surgery can hinder your results and could put you at risk for developing complications during the healing process. It’s certainly not necessary to avoid push-ups and other exercises forever, but you do want to make sure you give your body enough time to properly heal. If your plastic surgeon is concerned with your level of physical activity, you may want to consider getting subglandular implants, which avoid the chest muscle altogether.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pushups are possible after surgery

That’s interesting that your surgeon advised you not to do pushups every again after your surgery. My patients are able to after their recovery, in about 6-8 weeks, and there are no restrictions in doing so once full recovery is completed. It’s true that there may be some implant distortion when flexing the chest muscles, but it’s more of an aesthetic concern that won’t permanently affect your implants.

Push ups?

That is not true.  You should be able to resume all activities after this surgery.  If that was the case, then we would NEVER do breast augmentation on any woman who goes to the gym or is a personal trainer!!   Hope this helps.  Good luck.
Dr Vasisht 

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Chest exercises

Most patients are able to resume chest exercises as tolerated 6 weeks after breast augmentation surgery. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Thank you for your question. In my practice I advise patients not to do push ups or heavy weight lifting for 6-8 weeks after sub muscular breast augmentation. After that if they are comfortable doing push ups it is fine.

Breast augmentation and chest exercises

I allow my patients to go back to heavy lifting and exertion within about 6-8 weeks after surgery.  Not sure why your doc recommends not to do any chest exercises.

Yes, but get cleared by your surgeon first (or second opinion)

I am a Miami Beach plastic surgeon and I work out myself at a Barry's Boot Camp.  Approximately half the females in these classes have had a breast augmentation and they are doing heavy upper body exercise including push-ups.  It is a myth that you cannot do pushups after breast augmentation.  However, enough healing should have occurred so that the implants don't displace.  In general, for an uncomplicated recovery I would have my patients wait about 2 to 3 months just to make sure the pocket is healed well enough to not shift.  Of course, every case is different, and without knowing your full history and not having an exam, I would not know if your plastic surgeon has a specific reason for his recommendation.  You could always get a second opinion. 

Tarik Husain, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Do I have to avoid push ups after BA?

Your PS is probably concerned about 2 things, the first being the implants could be displaced to the side if pectoral exercises are begun too soon after surgery before the pocket has a chance to stabilize.  The second issue is that you could see what is called an "animation deformity" in which the shape of the breast is changed when the pectoral muscle is contracted (but not seen when it is relaxed). I, too, often recommend that my patients who have sub pectoral implant placement avoid pectoral exercises postoperatively.  There is really no need to exercise the pectoral muscle since it is camouflaged by the breasts anyway.  However, if pectoral exercises are particularly important to you, consider discussing with your PS placing the implants above the muscle instead of below.  In that situation, you will likely need a textured implant rather than smooth to help offset the chances of developing scar tissue around the implant (capsular contracture).  While I largely agree with your PS, there are other options to consider.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question. Most patients are cleared to exercise 4 - 6 weeks following breast augmentation. You may return to walking and light lifting sooner, but would not perform any strenuous activity without clearance from your surgeon. It is best to have an in-person follow up examination for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Push Ups

I allow my patients to resume push ups after 6 weeks but it is best to have your Plastic Surgeon advise you as they know your situation the best.

Take care