Should I put Vaseline on stitches on eyelid, surgery yesterday. (photo)

Vaseline on stitches

It’s best to ask your surgeon about this. Usually, instructions on scar care are given to you and they usually include the application of antibiotic ointment. If vaseline is not recommended, it’s better not to apply it.

Eyelid Incision Treatment

I typically have patients apply eye antibiotic ointment to upper eyelid incisions like erythromycin.  I would defer management to your surgeon to make sure you are using a therapy that they support.  You have to be careful as certain ointments can cause eye irritation.  Good luck, 

Gaurav Bharti

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Use Antibiotic Ointment Instead of Vaseline

Not all surgeons have you put anything on your stitches after eyelid surgery. If the stitches are getting dry or tight you could consider applying antibiotic ointment in a thin layer over them. Opthamolic antibiotic ointment would be best, but even Neosporin would be okay. Keeping the eyes clean and gentle washing with soap and water, and using natural tears in the eyes can also help to prevent that tight feeling and promote healing. 

Vaseline is really not a great choice for a topical moisturizer - it is petroleum-based and makes things greasy, but does not actually moisturize or hydrate the skin. It is probably best to contact your surgeon for his/her specific recommendations on this issue, as they would know the details of what was done and the type of technique of sutures that you have in.

Eyelid goo

Always best to check with your treating doctor's suggestions .Everybody has a favorite routine,why not check there first, rather than online?

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Incision Care

The best thing to do is to follow your surgeon's suture care instructions.

For my patients I recommend using either an opthalmic antibiotic ointment or vaseline on the incisions several times a day until they see me back to remove the sutures.  I tell them that the incisions should always have some coverage with the ointment. If antibiotic ointment is used, I generally have them stop it after two days. Any longer then that can result in a contact dermatitis that can make the area more red and inflamed.  

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

The only issue with vaseline is that is can be a little irritating if it melts and runs into the eye.

For this reason, a bland ophthalmic ointment like fresh PM ointment or lacrilube  is generally better tolerated but more expensive.  Some Doctors recommend a medicated ointment like erythromycin ophthalmic ointment for this purpose.  Call your surgeon and see what they recommend.

Post-op ointment

You should ask your surgeon what ointment he would like you to use.  Most surgeons will prescribe some sort of an antibiotic ointment.  If not, a little Vaseline should be fine too.  Basically want to keep it moist as it will heal faster, have less scab formation, and less itching.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Keep the wound moist

Moisture is one of the keys to rapid healing with minimal scaring.  Keeping ointment on the incision line will act as a moisture barrier and also keep the secretions from forming a crust.  Both of these will promote quick healing.  Check with your surgeon for a recommendation on the type of ointment recommended.

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Always check with your Surgeon...but

Like always, the key is to check with your surgeon, hopefully you can contact his office easily.

However, when putting anything near the eye you need to ensure that it is made for ophthalmic use. I typically get patients to use an ophthalmic Polysporin oitment after surgery. 

We know now that a moist wound heals best. A dry, crusty and flaky wound heals worse.  Keeping the wound moist with petrolium jelly can be very helpfull in this regard. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon