Rhinoplasty for wide nose with bulbous tip? (photos)

Hello! I'm looking for advice on what's needed to balance out my face. I've posted several (no makeup, eek!) pictures from various angles so you can see the wideness and bulbousness of my nose. I've been told that my skin is thicker (similar to ethnic skin, although I'm Caucasian). Realistically, can a thinning out be achieved to make my nose more feminine? I always try to face cameras at an angle to avoid showing how wide it is. Thank you so much for any advice and recommendations.

Tip rhinplasty

Thick nasal skin would camouflage the refinement of nasal tip. In some instances the subcutaneous nasal tissue (fat under the skin) can be trimmed in order to create more definition at the tip. This requires experience and expertise of how much of tissue to remove. I do not think you have overly thick skin, an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon can create a beautiful and natural results by performing a tip rhinplasty and reducing of your alar base. Your nasal dorsum  looks wonderful, therefore there is no need for osteotomy (breaking nasal bone). 

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip

You would do well with a rhinoplasty. The thickness of your skin is a limiting factor of how  narrow/refined your tip can be. Having said that you would get a significant change in the appearance of your nose from a rhinoplasty. I believe you would like it. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for Wide Nose & Bulbous Tip

While pictures like those you submitted can be misleading when trying to evaluate skin thickness it does appear that your entire nose is wide including the tip and nasal base but i don't think your tip is particularly bulbous so you should be able to achieve a relatively defined feminine result. I don't feel your skin is terribly thick; you can clearly see the outline of the underlying tip cartilages. Consult with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist who devotes most of their work to this surgery.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous nasal tip

An open or closed rhinoplasty with tip modification will improve the shape and definition of your nasal tip. The rest of your nose would harmonize well with improved tip features, as discussed.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and give you the best options. From what I can tell in your photo, you would benefit from a rhinoplasty to thin out the bridge of the nose and a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose. This includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photos, you would be an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty. The areas of your concern are realistic and the result should be obtainable with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. Best wishes to you.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty for wide nose with bulbous tip?

The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a natural appearing rhinoplasty performed by an expert artistic plastic surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience.  Keep in mind, that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the proposed operative procedure with you and your parents may not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  Robert Singer, MD FACS  La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose and bulbous tip

A Closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. To narrow the bulbous nasal tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applying to the lower lateral cartilages of the tip itself. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar-plasty. To narrow wide nasal bones requires osteotomies placed along the bridge line. Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. Digital computer imaging can also be helpful to understand what your new nose might look like on your facial features. For more information, diagrams and many examples of narrowing a wide nose with closed rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Nasal shape

In general my opinion is that your nose is actually quite aesthetic and that it balances with your face well overall.  I agree that the tip may not harmonize quite as well with the rest of your nose and face since it has some degree of roundness and overall less definition than the rest of your nose.  Some modifications to this area might give you the improvement that you are looking for.  Good luck!

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon