4 weeks post-op BA, incisions appear dry, flaky, and still a little sore. Can I apply moisturizing cream to them?

4 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Skin and incisions dry and flaky 4 weeks after breast augmentation

Hello there and thank you so much for your question.

It is not uncommon to see this after breast augmentation after all you may have had dressings on the wounds for a while and the skin would not be subjected to the normal mechanisms of removal of dry skin flakes etc. The wounds may also still be tender at this early stage though if tender but also red hot and discharging then that might indicate infection but that does not apply to yourself.

Personally I would be happy for my patients to apply any bland non medicated non perfumed moisturiser and also commence very gentle scar massage but I would check with your surgeon that he or she is happy with this as most surgeons have a protocol of looking after patients and their wounds after surgery that is often quite individual. 

I hope that you found this information helpful and my very best wishes for your continuing recovery towards an excellent long term outcome.

kind regards

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Incisions

It sounds pretty early to apply moisturizers, you might want to ask your surgeon about post-op skin care.

Dry skin?

Thanks so much for this important question. Dry and flaky skin is very common after breast implants. Using a non-oil based moisturizer is key to rehydrate the breast skin. Most patients do not require a moisturizer right over the incision so it is better to have your plastic surgeon's blessing before starting this new regiment. Best, Dr. ALDO :) 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Dry, Flaky Skin after Breast Augementation

It is not unusual for healing tissues to be dry and flaky.  In that situation, many patients will do well with a basic moisturizer such as cocoa butter but before you try that, call your plastic surgeon's office and ask for their treatment recommendation.  Every plastic surgeon has their own wound care protocol that they feel gets the best results for their patients.  A quick call is usually all that is needed and will make you feel better knowing you are following their best advice.  Thanks for you question.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Dry flaky incision line

I agree it would be best to speak to your surgeon prior to applying anything to your incision line. But most likely if the incision is healed and there is no redness or signs of infection your surgeon will be fine with you applying moisturizing lotion to your incisions. 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon