Will Vitamin D interfere with Breast Augmentation?

So its about around a month before my BA surgery and i got blood work done and found of im low on Vitamin D and have to take a pill one a week for three months. Will the ruin everything or get in the way or surgery? I will be getting surgery in my home state which means I will have to fly out there and im stressing out over the fact that i spent money on my airplane tickets and my surgey being delayed. Am i over reacting?

Vitamin D before breast surgery

Thanks for your question.  Vitamin D should have no negative effect on your surgery.  Always best to confirm with your surgeon.   I usually provide my patients with a list of medications, herbs, and supplements to avoid preop, but vitamin D is not one of them.  

Vitamin D and Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your questions. It is always best to verify with your surgeon as to what you can and cannot take before and after your procedure. Typically, Vitamin D is fine to take before and after surgery due to the fact that it is not a blood thinner. Good luck!

Vitamin D should not interfere with breast augmentation

Vitamin D should have no effect on your having breast augmentation surgery. I believe you can proceed as planned, although your surgeon will have the last word. Hope this information is reassuring .For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Taking Vitamin D prior to a Breast Augmentation

No, taking supplemental Vitamin D should not cause any problems or issues with your Breast Augmentation procedure. Most plastic surgery offices will provide you with a list of medications, vitamins and supplements, homeopathic treatments, and/or foods which you should avoid for 2-3 weeks prior to your surgery - but Vitamin D is not routinely a concern. Thank you for your question. 

Vitamin D

No, Vitamin D will not interfere with your plans for surgery. If you are low, it will be helpful to take prior to surgery. Do let your surgeon know what you are taking.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin D

You should ask your surgeon about it.  I would not consider it a problem if you were my patient.  Some vitamins, such as Vitamin E in larger doses, can increase bleeding risk, but that is not the case for Vitamin D.

Vitmain D is fine

There are certain vitamins that should be stopped prior to surgery. In my practice I DO NOT tell my patient to stop vitamin D supplements. I would always defer to your plastic surgeon however.

Best of luck with your procedure,

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon