What is considered a large breast implant? What is considered a wide chest? (photos)

Hello and thank you for answering my questions in advance! I recently got an online consultation(live several hrs away) from a surgeon and was told since I have a wide chest I would have to go with a larger implant. This made me extremely happy as I'm I want to go significantly larger and am still in the process of choosing my surgeon. What is considered a large implant and a wide chest? I've included pictures of myself and pictures of the look I want. Thank you for your time

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Best implant

Thank you for your question and the photos you have submitted are of large breasted women and consequently you are lookin for a large implant.  At a complimentary consultation with an expert in the field, the best shaped implant for you would be determined once measurements are obtained and desired volume determined

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Its all about proportions

Based on your pictures, I agree that wide implants will certainly be required as the width of your chest is wide as is the base footprint of the breast itself.  There is no proper definition of what constitutes a "large" implant. It is the size of the implant in proportion to the width of the chest or torso that determines ultimately the "look" in terms of size. In the same way there is no proper definition of what is a large chest. Every person's anatomy is different. It is the job of the plastic surgeon to understand and take each individual's anatomy into consideration when choosing an implant. The same "large"  implant will look smaller on someone who is 6 feet tall with a wide chest versus someone who is 5 feet tall with a narrow chest. Although an online consultaion via skype or facetime is a perfectly good way to engage in a consultation, which our practice has done in the past with other patients, ultimately it is important that you are seen in person at least once before surgery so that measurements of your breasts be taken to determine the appropriate size implant to help meet your goals and ultimately the "look" that you are looking for. In our practice, once measurements are taken, external sizers are placed in a bra in the office. This will allow you to see how large you will be with the implants in place. I would recommend being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many cosmetic breast procedures in order to ensure your safety and success with this procedure.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula  

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

What is considered a large breast implant? What is considered a wide chest?

• Thank you for the good question.  Generally speaking, I do not think that it is helpful to individual patients to classify breast implants as "small or "large".  For example, 400 breast implants on a very petite patient may be too "large" whereas 800 cc breast implants on a bigger frame may be too "small". In other words, arbitrary statements such as "breast implants larger than 600 cc are considered large" are not helpful when it comes to clinical practice.

•  What IS important: appropriate selection of breast implant size/profile to safely achieved patients aesthetic goals.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

• Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
  • 1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
  • 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

• 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
  • I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Size

"Wide" is a relative term based on your height and weight. Most consider large implants to start around 450 cc's. However, what is consider large on an individual is based upon their height, weight, and measurements. For someone who is 4'10", a 450 cc implant could be huge, but on someone 5'10", it could be proportional.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

High profile are taller and narrower implants when compared to moderate profile implants of the same volume.The decision is usually based on the patient breast dimensions, amount of breast that the patient can contribute to the projection and I also factor the patients desires. I try my best to also respect the skin quality and elasticity in order to prevent future drooping due to unnecessarily heavy implants.

over or under muscle doesn't dictate what size implant we can use.  The muscle coverage is helpful in very thin patients and seems to reduce capsular contracture according to some scientific studies. Under the breast tissue is the most natural feel and has a less chance of animation deformity when the pectoralis muscle contracts. In most instances only the top implant is covered by muscle and the reset of the implant ends up under the breast tissue.

What are the basic tips to know if I need a breast augmentation or breast lift? It all depends on the position of the nipple on the breast. The further down the nipple is in relation to the fold the more the chances are the patient needs a lift.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Breast Augmentation and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

What is considered a large implant? What is considered a wide chest?

The average base width for an average woman would be 12 -13 cm. You are likely a bit larger than the average. As Biodimensional analysis is important in determining what he implant width would be a  best fit for the individual you would need to have the doctor measure the breast width in order to determine what the ideal base dimension should be. The projection can then be approximated based on what cup size you would like to be. Extreme projection is what you see in the attached model photos. Normal or average projection is usually around a "C" cup though. Again these considerations are only possible once you know what base size you are likely to need. 

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

Biometric implant selection for best cosmetic results with breast augmentation

We recommend implant sizes and shapes for our patients based on the patient's individual breast measurements. Implant size is a relative concept - a small implant for some patients may be quite large for others.

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.   The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD