Bump appears to be growing back after rhinoplasty- 2 months post op

I had rhinoplasty to remove bump at the top of my bridge.When splint was removed bump was gone,then about 2.5 weeks post op bump reappeared in the same spot as pre op.It must have been bone callus because 3 weeks later it went away.I was relieved & happy with results. But now 2 months post op the bump came back again! Is it permanent this time?It really looks& feels like bone & I dont have swelling.I am so depressed about it.There is very minimal change from pre-op & post op.

Bump reappeared after surgery

Great question and I appreciate your concern. Without knowing the details of your surgery and seeing photographs I can only guess at what is happening. Bumps can be bony, cartilaginous, or a mix. Bony bump reductions can heal with a callous that requires revision, but it is recommended to wait a full year to allow all the swelling to settle. Another consideration is scar tissue hypertrophy, this is seen in the early post-operative period and responds to steroid injections. I would call your surgeon for an evaluation to determine exactly what is going on.

Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 months post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Bump reappearing

There may be many reasons why the bump appears be coming back such as the skin swelling is settling so the bump is more evident now, there may be a little scar formation occurring, there could be a little regrowth of the bone (callous formation) or the tip might be dropping a little. It is too early to consider worrying about this at the moment so be patient and hopefully things will settle with time. Best of luck

Santdeep Paun, FRCS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You need to allow your nose to heal and it can take a year or longer for things to settle down. Best of luck.

Nose

alysse123, see you surgeon, you are probably experiencing rhinion regrowth which can usually be treated with conservative measures if caught early enough. If not it's usually a 5 minute procedure to get rid of it in the OR. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op bump

I know it's frustrating but you are actually still early in your recovery. Although you may not see any swelling that doesn't mean that it isn't there. For now, I would encourage you to be patient and kind to your body as it continues to heal. If at 6 months post op, you are still unhappy with your results then schedule an appointment with your surgeon to discuss revision options. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

You are very right that bony callus can grow back on the bridge of the nose but when this occurs can vary from patient to patient. It is very early to judge the outcome so I would advise not doing anything for 6 months. At that point, if there still is bony irregularity your surgeon can address it without too much difficulty --either through an intranasal approach without an external incision or even using just a tiny needle through the skin to scrape the callus which is straightforward and painless for you. Best of luck!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon