I had my arm lift 4 months ago. My scar is still red/purple and raised. Will it flatten? (Photos)

Scars after a brachioplasty

It is always difficult to know exactly what a scar will look like when it is fully matured. I think in your case you can expect quite a bit of flattening and improved color change. You should consider asking your plastic surgeon whether they think silicone gel or some other treatment may be helpful.

Scars after a brachioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Arm lift scar

Be patient.  Scars take around 18 months to go through their maturation phase during which time they will gradually fade and flatten.  I advise my patients to use silicon gel products to help with minimise the appearance of scars over time.

Arm lift scar

Will it flatten?

This type of scarring is very common after arm lift. It's only been 4 months so you're going to have to work to flatten it and get a better result. The approach includes compression with silicone sheets. Massage is important too. 

Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon at 18 months total.

Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Will it flatten?

Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Common after arm lifts

Hi abbgirl99,

This is a really common problem seen after arm lifts. This area is especially prone to thick raised scars. The best improvement I have obtained for my patients is by using steroid injections along the length of the raised scar. This usually takes a series of injections to see the maximum benefit. Contact your surgeon and he/she should be able to provide you that treatment. As mentioned by others you can also wear silicone strips on the scar or apply creams such as Biocornium which contains silicone. Good luck!

Dr. Robert Pollack

Robert B. Pollack, MD

Common after arm lifts

Hi abbgirl99,

Dr. Robert Pollack

Robert B. Pollack, MD

Arm lift scar

brachioplasty or arm lift scars often heal with thickened or hypertrophic scars. These inner arm scars will continue to mature for 12-16 months after your surgery . Scar massage ,topical silicone sheeting and topical scar reduction products can often help lessen the appearance of these scars . Time and patience are important as well.

Arm lift scar

Scars after arm reduction

Scars heal very differently in patients even for the same operation and vary from minimal scarring through hypertrophic to keloid scars.  Your scars do not appear to have grown outside the original incision lines and so are probably hypertrophic rather than keloid.  Hypertropic scars are quite common and can be treated by a number of methods.  The use of silicone sheeting, silicone oils, pressure garments, steroid injection and lasers can all help.  Hypertrophic scars will tend to flatten and pale with time but may also stretch a bit.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to give you advice on how to best manage your scars.  Best wishes. 

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Scars after arm reduction

Raised scars four months after brachioplasty

Thank you for your question and photos. It is NOT UNCOMMON to develop hypertrophic scars after a brachioplasty. Be patient, it can take up to a year for scars to fully mature. Few simple steps you can take is to aggressively massage your scars and to apply silicone sheets on your scars. Other things that can be done is steroid injections and laser treatments. Good luck. 

DrMaz 

DrMaz 

Red and Purple arm scars

Thank you for your question. It is a prudent time to discuss scar treatments with your surgeon . Your scars are hypertrohpic in nature and will likely respond better to some injection therapy at this stege. There is no visible evidence that this is a keloid scar at this stage. Have your surgeon educate you about your multitude of options for scar therapy. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Red and Purple arm scars

Bruce Landon, MD

Raised scar after arm lift

It looks like you have a hypertrophic scar developing. Unfortunately, poor scarring is a common problem with this surgery. Ask your surgeon about getting a kenalog injection. This may help, particularly with the redness but can soften and flatten it over time. You are building up scar tissue for about 6 months after surgery. During that time scars become pink or red, raised and more firm. After 6 months for up to a year and a half after surgery scars under go a process called remodeling.  During this phase they will soften, flatten and fade. That being said I would worry that yours won't. Another option is to excise the scar and re lose it using a different suture and then start a more aggressive, early scar treatment regimen in the hope she it won't happen again. Hope this was helpful.

Raised scar after arm lift

Arm Lift Scarring

Thank you for the photos.  It does appear from the photos that you have posted that you have what we call hypertrophic scars.  This can at times happen, especially with the arm lift surgery.

Given that you are 4 months out, it may be early enough to attempt steroid injections.  There are injections that your surgeon would perform in the office.  In addition, I would also recommend silicone tape placement to the scars for up to 1 years time.

At 1 year you can assess your scar further.  If you are still unhappy with them, then you may consider re-excision and more aggressive and earlier treatment with steroids, compression and silicone tape placement.

Good luck.

Arm Lift Scarring

Good luck.