Redness in recipient area 1 month post op FUE. How can it be reduced? (Photo)

Hi I am 4 weeks post op fue and still have a lot of redness in the recipient areas. Are there any suggestions on how to reduce the redness? I have been applying distilled witch hazel for the last week which does not seem to be doing anything. I have also been applying a topical steroid which did reduce a bit of the swelling but not the redness. Thanks

Some patients may have redness after surgery. It is best to contact your doctor for treatment options (not the Internet).

Some patients may have redness after surgery.  It is best to contact your doctor for treatment options (not the Internet).  There may be many answers or opinions on the Internet but your doctor (who performed surgery on you and knows your medical history) can give you the best advice.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Redness ins recipient area at one month

When I see a patient with redness ins  recipient area at one month, I may prescribe a topical steroid. Ask your doctor about it

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Residual redness following FUE

Redness in the recipient zone following a hair transplant procedure will generally resolve in 10-14 days.  Persistent redness may be due to normal post-surgical healing, but may also represent an inflammatory process such as seborrheic dermatitis or acne and occasional an infection. I would recommend to follow up with your physician for an evaluation.  Sometimes a topical steroid or an antibiotic may be indicated.

Redness in recipient area 1 month post op FUE. How can it be reduced?

Thank you for the post. From looking at the photos you have attached being only 4 weeks post procedure, they look normal. Some patients do get more redness then others, also there is higher chance of redness if there is density packing (high density graft per cm). Within a few weeks, it should get better. You can ask your clinic to prescribe a steroid based cream/lotion which can help with the redness. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Redness post-op

Time, my friend.  The steroids will probably help the most.  Skip the witch hazel.  For some patients the redness lasts months - it just depends on the patient's skin type.  It will go away with time, though.Good Luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Redness after hair transplant

A little bit of redness for the first couple of weeks is normal. However if it persists along with swelling, you need to be seen by your doctor. Also do not use witch hazel on the recipient area as it contains alcohol. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Reducing redness after FUE

Great question.  Looks like you had a good session with fair bit of dense packing, which is leading to your troubles.  Microneedling with platelet rich plasma at the time of surgery as well as between 4-6 weeks out has been demonstrated in the literature to decrease the amount of redness you have on your recipient area.  Its not a miracle cure - but it does improve how quickly you get back up on your feet.  Remember, everyone is a little different in their healing.  And while techniques in implantation vary, some people just take longer than others in completely healing.  Best of luck.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon