I am losing grafts or is this just normal hair shaft shedding after an FUE? (photos)

I was doing well on POD 6 (Pic 1) but on POD 8 I developed these "cracks" or "valleys" (Pic 2). My transplant doc said this was the beginning of hair shedding. He advised that I wash more thoroughly. I have. Some of the scabs have little hairs with a possible a bulb. (Pic 3). Do they look like shed grafts or just hair shafts? I'm afraid the scabs contracted and pulled out some grafts leaving the barren areas. Can anything be done now? (Pic 4 is current picture POD 13).

If your doctor advised you to wash more thoroughly and you follow the advice, that is the best you can do.

If your doctor advised you to wash more thoroughly and you follow the advice, that is the best you can do.  If there are any issues, let your doctor know.  It is normal to have shed the transplanted hairs weeks after surgery.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

6 days after FUE

After a hair transplant, the recipient grafts shed normally and in 20-3 weeks most of the grafts and hair will not be seen as they should have shed

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to expect the first week after hair transplant

6 or 8 days are too early to lose the hair shafts from the transplanted area.  However, it is unlikely to lose grafts at this time either if you have taken good care of your transplanted area. We think the grafts are pretty solid after day 5 and patient can wash hair more aggressively at that point.  you can find more of how to care for your hair and what to expect after FUE hair transplant in this page from our website:

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon