Do Non-surgical Nose Fillers Have Any Long-term Effects?

Does the non-surgical nose job have any long-term effects? Have injectable fillers been FDA approved for use on the nose? I was wondering if the fillers could cause disease and other complications. I hate my nose but I'm scared to death of getting Rhinoplasty.

Fillers in the Nose

Fillers are not approved by the FDA for nasal injection. While it is common to use small amounts of certain fillers to smooth small defects in the nose, this is an "off-label" use. Using fillers in place of a formal rhinoplasty is often disappointing, and always temporary. Patients would spend much more money over time than having a rhinoplasty, which has permanent results.

Consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon who has experience with all types of nasal treatments before making any decisions. It is best to learn all the angles before having your nose injected with expensive and temporary substances.

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for nasal shaping

Fillers have been used for decades to correct minor nasal deformities an off-label use of these products. The choice of filler for this application is very important. Many physicians promote the use of permanent injectable fillers like silicone. I strongly advise against any permanent filler material. Hyaluronic Acid materials like Restylane and Juvederm would be preferred as they are quickly and safely adjusted or removed. If they are successful in achieving a satisfactory outcome, a longer term filler like Radiesse might be considered.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may receive what you ask for

Most FDA approved fillers have a limited life span. I do place them into the nose in situations where a patient wants a temporary or immediate result but ALL know the result is not lasting unless autologus tissue was instilled. Even using your own tissue requires repeated injections. I am also assuming that you need to have your nasal bridge raised.

A patient had silicone injected to raise the bridge of her nose and this had to be removed in order to achieve a better result. It was quite difficult to remove the material but you can see how the silicone injected eventually "spread," making her nose look wider.

Michael Kulick, MD

Non-Surgical Nose Job - May Not Be A Quick Fix Long-Term

Filler substances -- such as Restylane, Juvaderm, Radiesse -- are FDA approved for use in the US to correct facial wrinkles and to add volume to the fave. However, they have not been given an specific indication by the FDA for a "non-surgical nose job" -- thus, they are being used in an "off-label" fashion for this purpose.

The deformity of the nose will dictate how much of the injectable substance is required to achieve the desired result. While injectable fillers may be appropriate for treating localized deformities such as depressions or a low bridge, large volumes are required for an substantial change in nasal shape.

Many surgeons are beginning to see patients who come to their practice for revision surgery because they are displeased with the results of injectable fillers. Most of the products that have been on the market for the last several years are temporary. However, newer, longer-lasting fillers have become available. Some of these are permanent. This poses a problem when the result does not meet the patient's expectations. The large volumes of these substances are changing the way the natural tissues appear, which can make revision surgery more difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Over time, these fillers have been noted to cause skin changes, such as redness and even skin necrosis, in some patients if they are injected too close to the surface of the skin. They may also give the nose a lumpy appearance.

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Rhinoplsty (by fillers)

I am not aware of any "diseases" caused by fillers, but there certainly are potential risks and complications and you should discuss this with your physician. Injectable fillers are temporary in effect and some last longer than others. Use of fillers for rhinoplasty is off-label, but that doesn't mean they are not to be used for that purpose. Also, fillers are not for all problems with the nose and for only specific problems. You need a thorough examination of your nose (internal and external) and a comprehensive discussion with your surgeon as to your concerns, your goals and expectations, and the reason you are against a surgical approach (i.e. rhinoplasty). You may have misinformation that he/she can address and put you at ease. The surgeon can address what the alternatives are and how well they might meet your desires and for how long.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Side effects of non-surgical rhinoplasty treatments may depend on the what's injected, and the technique used by the doctor.

Non-surgical nose fillers are not a substitute for rhinoplasty surgery. Rhinoplasty surgery may be necessary to achieve a smaller nasal appearance, since adding filler may only result in a larger appearance.Temporary gel fillers like HA and calcium hydroxylapetite may lead to necrosis of nasal skin, if vascular occlusion results from a treatment. In our practice we prefer using Silikon-1000 for non-surgical rhinoplasty treatments. Silikon-1000 is an off-label filler for permanent results, and has no propensity for causing vascular occlusion and dead skin.Hope this helps.Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-invasive Rhinoplasty Result

A non-surgical nose job is performed by injecting filler to correct bumpiness and create a smooth slope on the bridge of the nose. Depending on the type of filler that is used, is dependent on how long your result lasts.

Limited Usefulness, Use Caution.

Non-surgical rhinoplasty refers to the use of injectable fillers to augment areas of soft tissue deficiency. This technique is used for minor deformities that require augmentation and therefore has limited usefulness.

The procedure uses injectable fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm, and Restylane to correct minor contour irregularities.It has significant limitations because it cannot reduce a large nasal structure when this is indicated.It also has to be repeated at six to nine month intervals because the filler material doesn’t last.
It’s important to realize that the use of injectable fillers for this purpose is considered an “off label” use by the FDA.

It’s therefore important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon before proceeding with this type of procedure.Although the procedure appears simple and less expensive than rhinoplasty, it will need to be repeated.Over the course of time, this might become more expensive than rhinoplasty surgery.Furthermore, no long term data exist regarding the safety of fillers for this purpose.For these reasons, injectable fillers should be approached with caution when correcting nasal deformities.

Long term side effects on nose fillers

Fillers are not approved by the FDA for nonsurgical rhinoplasty. However, it can be successfully and safely performed in the hands of an experienced and expert physician injector. Patient selection is key. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons who are expert injectors to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Dermal fillers in the nose

None of the dermal fillers are FDA-approved for  injections into the nose.

Hyaluronic acid based fillers like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm, etc. are OK to use in the nose.  They last anywhere from 6-12 months, and can be reversed with Hyaluronidase should you not like the result.  

I would strongly advise against other types of fillers (such as Radiesse).  While such fillers may last longer, they  can cause localized tissue problems, are not readily reversible if you have problems, and can make any future surgeries more difficult for your surgeon by altering dissection planes in the nose.

Hope this was helpful, Dr. Vartanian

A. John Vartanian, MD
Glendale Facial Plastic Surgeon