What kind of pain to expect? Feeling like I have the flu. Is it still safe to do it?

I've got a FUE hair transplant planned in 3 days, the thing is i'm having a cold.. Is it safe to still do it? Also i m very worried about the Pain After the procedure. How bad is it usually, what kind of Pain? On a scale from 1 to 10. ?

Pain to expect during the FUE

Most patients report mild to discomfort with an FUE procedure.  As far the Flu or a cold, I recommend checking with your surgeon.

Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Everyone will respond differently to surgery and pain. If you have concerns see your doctor for a follow up.

Everyone will respond differently to surgery and pain. If you have concerns see your doctor for a follow up.  Hair transplant surgery does not feel like the "flu". 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Greetings Thank you for your question. Best to call your surgeon and ask for his opinion and best advice the should be no problem.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Transplant

as long as you are not having a fever/chills, you should be ok to proceed. I would discuss your situation with the surgeon who is performing your procedure. Typically there is little discomfort after FUE procedure, the first night is usually the worst. Patients have described it on a pain scale of 3-4 first night but obviously every one's tolerance to pain is different. The key is take the pain meds on schedule to avoid getting behind on pain control. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. During the procedure, you will lay face-down for two to four hours with the back of your scalp anesthetized while individual groups of follicles are extracted. You will take a short beak during harvesting before sitting upright with the front of your scalp anesthetized. The small follicles will be placed into the frontal scalp using small incisions. Once this is over, you'll be able to go home the same day. Our patients tend to experience only two to three short days of recovery. I suggest that you move forward and contact your board certified facial plastic surgeon. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The pain, the flu and the hair transplant

If you are feeling sick with the flu right now and still have 3 days before your procedure my guess is that you will most likely still move forward with the procedure unless you are running a high fever on this day. This will be based on your doctors recommendation on the day of your procedure. 

As far as pain goes in relation to the FUE hair transplant surgery, pain as well as swelling and downtime are very minimal with this procedure but can also be different levels of pain for different patients. But no matter what should not be any level of intolerable pain from this. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Planning of FUE in 3 days

If you are sick with a fever, then maybe you should call your doctor and reschedule the procedure. There is little pain after an FUE in my experience

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon