Hair transplant at 24 Norwood 2? Am I a candidate for FUE? (Photos)

Hi , I'm 24 with hair lose since 17 or 18. Now I think it is stabilised but I am not sure if it is because I don't feel I lose such quantity of hair because i wear it short nowadays. I am on finasteride 1 mg/24h and minoxidil 5% /12h. Can I be a candidate for a FUE to reconstruct the frontal area and/or give density to the crown or should I wait? I feel I want to do it now cause it is a good time for me to do it but I am concerned bout the consequences of the progresing hair loose. Thank you.

Donor Density for FUE

At the age of 24 it is generally best to wait until your hair loss has stabilized but in order to best determine if you have adequate donor density you should schedule a consult with a reputable physician. 

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Photos cannot assess if you would be a candidate for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Photos cannot assess if you would be a candidate for surgery.  Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE candidate....of course

It is a good idea for you to remain on minoxidil and finasteride both medications will help you to preserve what you have.  It would be beneficial for you to find out what your father and other male members of your family looked like when they were 24 in terms of hair pattern/loss.  This will help you to foresee where you will be heading in terms of hair loss.  Then, make an appointment with a hair restoration specialist such that a microscopic exam can be done to evaluate for miniaturization.  Your hair restoration specialist will then come up with a master plan to manage your existing.  Unfortunately, you are young and only have a finite amount of donor hair to draw from.  Your hairline followed by your crown will likely need a hair transplant and FUE would be a good choice.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Options

you should have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, as well as discuss the options available to you. You need to be sure to have reasonable expectations as well as a good long term plan. You are right doing the finasteride and minoxidil. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. NeoGraft Folicular Unit Extraction method is ideal for anyone who suffer from hair loss. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. The in-person examination will allow you and your surgeon to develop a larger plan for your hair loss treatment.  

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to determine if you are a candidate for FUE

Hello, Sebvav.

The first step is to slow down/stop your hair loss rate by either using medication or a non-surgical procedure. For this it is ideal to get a consultation with a hair expert to explore your options and select the appropriate treatment for you. After deciding this, we can examine your donor area and see how many grafts you need to achieve your goals. 

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

24, am I a candidate for a hair transplant FUE

It is clear that you have frontal recession and crown thinning appears to be early, possibly extensive in the long term. You need to develop a Master Plan in the high probability that you will continue to bald as you get older. To do this, you need the doctor to be able to estimate where your balding is with miniaturization studies throughout your head. You must keep in mind that you have a finite amount of donor hair and you should use it wisely. That is why I am talking about creating a Master Plan. As you are in Los Angeles, make an appointment to see me for a free consultation where I can outline the plan I discussed. We also hold Open House events once a month where former patients come to show their results and you can see a surgery and meet with either myself or Dr. Pak. The next Open House is Saturday, November 12th at our office from 11-2pm

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss at 24 years old

Congratulations on taking control of your hair loss.  At 24 years old, I would encourage you to give the medical therapy some time to do its work.  I definitely wouldn't transplant any hair in the crown.  If the hair is stable after 1 year of using medical therapy, I would considering strengthening the existing hairline, if it is an appropriate mature hairline.  I would not lower it in any way.  You should visit with a hair loss expert but I'd suggest holding tight with the medical therapy, rogaine and propecia, for now.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon