Is a Chin Strap Needed After a Neck Lift for Turkey Neck?

After a neck lift to get rid of my turkey neck, would I have to wear a chin strap? If so, how long?

A chin strap is optional

gatelli, After neck lift surgery, they will likely place a dressing / chin strap for the first few days. After this, I feel it is optional. One alternative would be to just wear the chin strap at night. However, you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her suggestions.

Support typically unnecessary after neck lift, but ask your surgeon

Gatelli,

Surgeons vary in the application of post-op elastic support (chin strap) following neck lift (and in the type of surgery they perform). It is important to follow the routine your surgeon recommends, as part of your recovery and care.

When I perform a surgical neck lift, including removal of subcutaneous fat (by suction lipectomy or scissor excision), removal of excess platysma muscle bands, suture tightening of lax muscle, and redraping & removal of the excess skin, I ask patients to wear the elastic support for the first 24-36 hours. After the first dressing change in my office, I do not require that they wear it, but suggest they do if they notice increased swelling. Typically, the neck has relatively little swelling and the support is unnecessary afterward.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Surgery involves swelling

To reduce the swelling and risk of bleeding after a necklift, a compression garment is advisable for the first 24 hours. After that, you can wear as neede to help minimize the swelling.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Thank you for your question !I do normally advise to use for a couple of weeks. It really helps.
good luck!

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Chin strap

Gatelli

Some type of support to the skin after a necklift is very helpful to maximize the contour improvement over the first one to two weeks after surgery

A chinstrap is a good and removable way to do that

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Chin Strap after Necklift

Generally, a necklift entails elevating the skin away from the underlying muscle and removing fat in between these 2 layers.  You don't need to wear a chin strap afterwards but gives an additional layer of security assuring that the skin will appose to the underlying tissue and not sag while it's healing.  In most practices, this is a common procedure.  There are different types of chin straps so if you are claustrophobic and wish not to wear one, talk to your facial specialist about options. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck band

after the dressing is removed on post op day 1, I usually have the patient wear the band 24 hours per day until day 4, then at night until day 7. At that point, they can wear it longer , but that is up to them

best of luck

Compression dressing after neck lift

During initial three days of healing from neck lift surgery, it is highly recommended to apply a light compression dressing to reduce the chance of hematoma and seroma formation. It allows the skin to adhere to underlying tissue. Thereafter, for few nights as well.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Post op facelift / neck lift head garment

Thank you for asking.  Answers will vary among the expert surgeons as there is no scientific evidence for or against the support facial garment after surgery. In my hands, we remove the surgical dressing the next day and have the patient wear an elastic facial/neck garment for 1 week day and night and then for week 2 just at night. Instructions may vary patient to patient. This is to support the skin as it heals back to the underlying tissue and to minimize the swelling. Some surgeons may not use a facial garment at all.  I feel that it can only help.

Raymond E. Lee, MD

WEARING A COMPRESSION GARMENT AFTER NECK LIFT

Wearing such a device can be particularly helpful in the first few days following a face and/or neck lift to lessen the degree of swelling and bruising.  I recommend that patients wear the customized garment (that we supply for them) at night for the first few weeks following their procedure.  Oftentimes, patients enjoy wearing the garment, as it provides comfort for them in the immediate postoperative period.  I would discuss with your surgeon, as each doctor's regime varies based on preference and technique.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon