How Much Swelling and Bruising Will I Get from Neck Liposuction and Lift?

I am scheduled for Neck lipo and Neck lift next week. How much swelling and brusing should I expect? How long will they last?

Everyone is different, but expect 2 weeks or so of bruising

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Every patient heals a bit differently after neck rejuvenation procedures, but I tell mine to expect around 2 weeks of bruising-- some heal quicker, some slower. One tip I have found helpful to reduce the amount of bruising is to have my patients start on the over the counter herbal medicine Arnica before the procedure and continue it after. Check with your surgeon before doing this, but it may help the bruising resolve a bit more quickly.

Good Luck!

Dr. Salemy

Bruising and Swelling after Necklift

A necklift is routinely combined with fat removal, either by liposuction, by "hand" or both. Swelling is usually minimal. It is normal to have bruising but it settles quickly by gravity into the lower neck area and sometimes upper chest area where it is easy to cover.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift Recovery Time

Since everyone is different, each neck lift patient will recover from their neck lift surgery differently, the recovery from a neck lift can be surprisingly quick, especially if your surgeon uses a rapid recovery protocol.  A rapid recovery protocol includes a twilight combined with tumescent anesthesia, no drains, removal of the dressing the next day, hot showers the next day and up and around walking the next day.  I encourage my patients to get outside for a walk the next day and do not restrict activities like lifting or bending over.  Some work out fanatics have been back to the gym the next day on a spin bike or doing a light workout at home.

With the rapid recovery neck lift method, my patients are generally able to get back to work within a week.  The big problem is usually the residual swelling that does not look bad but people who know you well will likely notice the swelling and hopefully an improvement in your appearance.  There will be bruising but this can always be covered up with makeup and will generally be gone at 2 weeks.  With this technique, you will not need any narcotics and all my patients ever use is some Aleve or something similar.

You should love the results.  Everyone who has a neck lift in my practice is thrilled with their outcome.  The saggy neck is an aged look and correcting can be one of the best things you can do for your looks!

I hope that helps and if it does please give it and up vote at the top right at the "report' button.  Thanks.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift recovery

Neck lift recovery, on average, takes 12 days. The first night you will have a dressing on around the neck that will be removed the next morning. Afterwards, we have our patients wear a light elastic band around the neck the first week as much as possible. Also, the first week, we recommend no heavy lifting, working out, or bending over. So, this week, you can't lift your kids or your pets or tend to your garden. You really want to take it easy otherwise you'll worsen the bruising and swelling.

On day 7, the stitches are generally removed, you're allowed to wear makeup in our practice, and we allow you to start working out. The problem with the second week is the bruising and swelling. You can do things around the house but you may not want to be seen at work or by your friends until day 12 after surgery.

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lipo and Lift Recovery

Bruising is often minimal after a #NeckLiposuction and Neck Lift procedure unless your dietary supplements, NSAID medications, certain vitamins, or history of easy bruising. Bruising and swelling are normal in the suctioned areas and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 months to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly the process will proceed. Some lasers and Arnica Gel may also help bruising from #liposuction.

Healing and Recovery Following Neck Lift & Lipo

Swelling and bruising following neck lift surgery varies from patient to patient and depends on the surgical technique and wound healing characteristics of the patient.  The majority of swelling and bruising usually resolves in about one to two weeks following neck lift surgery.  At this point, most patients can return to work and resume normal activities.  In most cases total resolution of swelling takes about three months.  In rare cases, swelling may persist for up to a year following surgery.
It’s important to remember that more aggressive neck lift procedures create more swelling, which can last for longer periods of time.  Elevation of the head and decreased salt intake may help decrease swelling after surgery.  Swelling is normal after neck lift surgery, but persistent or extreme swelling should be evaluated by your surgeon, especially if it’s accompanied by bruising. 

How much swelling and bruising after a neck lift Depends on surgical technique

How much swelling a patient gets varies depending on the patient and upon the surgical techniques that are used. If Jackson-Pratt drains are used, there is only minimal bruising because the blood goes out in the drains. Some surgeons use drains, while others used compression garments. We prefer use of mechanical suction drains in our practice. There is a moderate amount of swelling typically, but it usually subsides in two weeks. Patients are asked to refrain from social activities, work and strenuous exercise for 2 weeks. For many examples, please see  the link below to our neck lift photo gallery.

Compression garment is key!

Neck lifts and Lipo almost always go well. I had a patient have a necklift 2 weeks ago and was filming a commercial in 7 days. My favorite way to minimize bruising and swelling is a compression neck garment. Other supplements and dietary changes help, but compression and good surgery are the key!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Swelling and bruising

Hi! Thanks for your question. Everyone bruises and swells a little differently, but most people can cover any remaining swelling and bruising with makeup within about a week.

Necklift: swelling and bruising

hello cbowlin  

While each patient is different, as a general rule, patients can expect to recover from their necklift in about three weeks.  During recovery, patients experience swelling, which should go down after two days, and bruising or discoloration, which will disappear in about two weeks. #swelling #bruising