Me and my partner are into rough sex and I wear very tight tops. Are silicone breast implants more or less durable than saline?

Me and my partner are into rough sex and I wear very tight tops so I was wondering, if I get implants, which would be durable enough to withstand all this? Please explain your answer.

The strength of silicone implants compared to saline implants is well known

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your question is actually a very good one, and believe it or not, you are not alone in asking it as it is also very common.  I would like to add not only sports activities, but compression from mammograms and trauma from car accidents to your concerns about rough sex and tight tops causing damage to breast implants.  First, I should say all breast implants, saline and silicone gel,  are pretty durable and are tested to strengths that generally exceed what a woman's breasts would normally need.  I routinely twist the implants, mash them, and even throw them on the floor during consultations to demonstrate how strong they are for potential patients.  I think you would likely have significant injury to your ribs and soft tissues way before you sustained any injury to your implants from direct trauma from any of those things listed above.  Having said that, I will also point out that it is pretty widely accepted, based upon statistical analysis, that silicone gel implants rupture with about half the frequency of saline implants.  I think this is due in large part to the mechanical differences between the gel as a fill material and saline as a fill material.  The gel is much softer and more compliant, and perhaps more importantly, the relationship between the gel and the rubber shell of the implant is MUCH different between the two.  Thus, the rubber shell, while made of the exact same thing for both saline and silicone gel filled implants, is able to withstand forces and tearing strains MUCH better when filled with gel versus saline, just because of the difference in the fill material and how it relates mechanically to the shell.  Add to this the fact that there are now 3 different companies in the US approved  by the FDA to sell silicone gel implants, and they each have slightly different gels and slightly different shell properties, with different ways that the shell and the gel interact.  Thus, the feel of the implants from different manufacturers may be different for different patients, and the performance of the implants with regard to things like rupture, gel fracture, and rippling may also be different.  These things are actually pretty well studied and worked out in reproducible laboratory evaluations with published data.  I personally use implants from all of the different companies, because I think they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and sometimes one implant works great for one patient's needs while another works better for another patient.  I rarely use saline implants anymore because they just don't seem to meet the needs of my patients on a number of accounts.  The best thing for you to do is to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with all of the different types of implants and have a consultation so that you can find out what specific implants will best meet your individual needs.  Good luck.

Rough sex and breast implants

Thank you for your breast implant question.
  1. Rough sex has many definitions - if it puts you in danger, this is self-destructive and I urge you to see a counselor or therapist for help
  2. Tight tops will have no effect on the durability of the implant
  3. Saline and gel implants are very durable,
  4. Saline implants leak - the fill valve for the saline becomes loose in time. However it is a simple process to replace a leaking saline implant, and often done in the office.
  5. Gel implant shells deteriorate at the rate of about 1% a year. 
  6. Highly cohesive gel implants are said to hold their shape even when the shell wears out.
  7. A gel implant will withstand significant body trauma - but can rupture under direct mammogram or other pressure. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Gel implants

Implants are designed to withstand 3 times your weight in force.  You can run the car over an implant and not rupture it.  Most activities should be fine with gel implants.  

4th question!! Why not see a few boarded Plastic Surgeons in MIAMI to address ALL your issues and concerns IN PERSON??????

Nd my partner are into rough sex and I wear very tight tops. Are silicone breast implants more or less durable than saline?

Hello! Thank you for your question! Altitude and pressure have no effect on breast implants, whether saline or silicone. It is safe to travel by air within pressurized cabins or even scuba dive without concern. No further precautions should be taken during these activities. Certainly, discuss any concerns with your surgeon prior.

In the same manner, blunt force will unlikely cause rupture. Repeated trauma from the folding io the implant over time is known to be associated with rupture. Obviously, penetrating trauma from sharp objects will also result in rupture. Both saline and silicone implants are very durable and daily activities will likely not cause any increased risk to the integrity of the implant. Hope that thus helps. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Implant durability.

The outer shell of both saline and silicone implants are highly durable. Neither implant will withstand a penetrating activities with erotic paraphernalia deeply introduced below the surface of the skin. Other erotic activities are definitely not an issue.

Are silicone implants more durable than saline implants?

Both saline and silicone implants are durable and shouldn't rupture unless subjected to a force that normally would break a bone.  However, most believe that silicone implant tend to be slightly more durable.   This may just may be because it is more difficult to detect a small leak.

That being said, once inside your body, the implants are also protected by your skin, breast tissue and in most cases, muscle as well.  The chances or rupturing them from any type of tight clothing or vigorous activity is extremely unlikely unless the tissues around it are also injured.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Durable implants

Rough sex and implants are not a problem. Gel and silicone gel last pretty close to each other. Gel implants will probably last a little bit longer but that is not related to the sex. Go for it, but be safe!

Which implants are more durable?

Thank you for your question.  Overall, the highly cohesive silicone gel implants are more durable than saline.  With routine wear and tear, all implants should have no significant issues.  They type of play you are describing is unlikely to significantly effect either type of implant.

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon